
Escape to Paradise: Chicago Lake Shore Hotel Awaits!
Escape to Paradise: Chicago Lake Shore Hotel Awaits! - A Messy, Honest, and Opinionated Review
Alright, folks, let's talk about the Escape to Paradise: Chicago Lake Shore Hotel. Sounds dreamy, doesn't it? Well, hold onto your hats, because I went in with stars in my eyes and came out… well, let's just say it was a journey. This isn't your polished travel blog review, this is the real story.
SEO & Metadata (Because I'm apparently supposed to do that):
- Primary Keyword: Chicago Lake Shore Hotel Review
- Secondary Keywords: Accessible Hotel Chicago, Luxury Hotel Chicago, Spa Hotel Chicago, Lakefront Hotel Chicago, Chicago Hotel Amenities, Hotel Reviews
- Meta Description: A brutally honest review of the Chicago Lake Shore Hotel! Is it paradise? We delve into accessibility, amenities (spa, pool, dining!), cleanliness, and the overall experience. Prepare for unfiltered opinions!
- Tags: Chicago, Hotel, Review, Luxury, Spa, Accessible, Lakefront, Travel, Lodging, Experiences
Now, the Good, the Bad, and the Surprisingly Beige…
First off, Accessibility. HUGE point for me, because I'm a firm believer that everyone deserves a slice of paradise. They claim to be good, I'll give them that. They say they've got facilities for disabled guests, and there's an elevator (thank GOD). I'm talking about wheelchair accessible rooms, so if you want more accessibility details, I'll have to investigate further.
Rambling Alert! I ended up in a regular room, and frankly… it was a bit of a letdown. I didn't even think about this until I got here. I didn't book a wheelchair-accessible room just because there was a lot to sift through, and I didn't think I'd need to. But if you DO, you should call. Like, immediately after booking. Make sure you get what you need, because the hotel is so big!
Cleanliness and Safety: Okay, this is important. In this day and age, I'm practically a hazmat suit aficionado when I travel. They do appear to take things seriously. Anti-viral cleaning products? Check. Hand sanitizer everywhere (bless!). Daily disinfection in common areas? Seems like it. Room sanitization between stays? Supposedly. But, and this is a but the size of Lake Michigan, it's hard to know for SURE, right? You always have that nagging feeling… you know, that one creepy feeling where you wonder if you should be sleeping in the bathtub instead?
I'd say they're trying. And in these times, trying is the best you can ask for.
Dining, Drinking, and Snacking: I love food. I EAT food. I crave food. So, let's dive in.
Restaurants: They've got them. Restaurants plural! A la carte options, a buffet (with a caveat – more on that later). Western cuisine, I'm a sucker for a good burger.
The Buffet Saga: This is where things get…interesting. The breakfast buffet promised a glorious start to the day. The promise was there. Reality? Sadly, it tasted like the hotel staff were forced to make it. I mean, the eggs were okay, but the bacon… Oh, the bacon. It was…limp. Not crispy. Not even slightly crispy. I’m a crispy bacon fiend. This was a low point. But you know, you can't expect too much from a hotel's breakfast.
- The staff was nice, though. They really were. Which made me feel bad about the soggy bacon. But I stood my ground. I went back to my room and got some pastries. The pastries were good!
Poolside Bar: Didn't try it because, well, weather. Chicago in October is… a wildcard.
Other Foodie Tidbits: Coffee/tea in the restaurant, Coffee shop, Snack bar, there.
Things to Do, Ways to Relax - Where the "Paradise" Begins (Maybe):
- The Spa: Okay, this is where the hotel redeems itself (a little). Sauna, Spa, Steamroom, Massage. I went for the whole shebang, and it was truly relaxing. Especially after my Bacon Tragedy. I had a Body Wrap, which was surprisingly amazing. I'm talking heavenly. Like, I almost fell asleep under the towels.
- The Pool: Swimming pool [outdoor] with a Pool with view? Now we're talking. Even if the weather wasn't perfect, the view of the lake was stunning. It almost made up for the limp bacon. Almost.
- Fitness Center: Didn't make it, because, well, spa. Prioritizing is a skill.
The Room Itself: A Mixed Bag…
- The Good: Air conditioning (essential), a comfy bed, High floor so you can enjoy the views, Free Wi-Fi (THANK YOU!).
- The… Not-So-Good: The room design was generic. Think beige. Lots and lots of beige. The mirror offered a slight distraction from the beige-ness.
- Amenities: The Bathrobes felt like a nice touch. But it would be a lot better if I could have gotten a room with a great scenic view.
Services and Conveniences:
- Concierge, Luggage storage, Daily housekeeping – the usual.
- Air conditioning in public area – Very important! I hate feeling hot and sticky.
- Cash withdrawal, Currency exchange - Convenient for sure!
- Business facilities - For those who want to go on vacation/do some work.
For the Kids:
- Babysitting service, family-friendly - I don't have kids, so… pass.
Getting Around:
- Car park [free of charge] - Score! Because parking in Chicago is a NIGHTMARE.
- Taxi service
- Airport transfer
The Verdict: Is it Paradise? Not Quite, But…
Look, the Chicago Lake Shore Hotel isn't a disaster. It's decent. It's got potential. The spa is genuinely good, and the lake views are stunning. The staff is friendly. But the food? The beige décor? Some of the inconsistencies? They knock it down a notch.
Would I recommend it? Maybe. If you're looking for a relaxing spa getaway with decent access and a convenient location, then yes. Just be prepared for the occasional limp bacon and the feeling that you're staying in a slightly upscale beige box. Manage your expectations, and you might actually enjoy it. And definitely, call ahead about accessibility.
Final Score: 3.5 out of 5 soggy strips of bacon.
Escape to Paradise: Kuala Lumpur's Most Luxurious Eco Hotel
Alright, buckle up, buttercups! This isn't your pristine, Instagram-filtered travel guide. This is the Chicago Lake Shore Hotel, warts and all, through the bleary eyes of yours truly. Let's see if we can survive a weekend…
Friday: Arrival, Acceptance, And Existential Dread (Kinda)
- 3:00 PM - Arrival & Check-In: "Welcome to the Hotel!" This… hotel. Okay, so the Lake Shore Hotel. My expectations? Mildly optimistic. Reality? A slightly dated lobby, a friendly but flustered check-in clerk (I swear he forgot how to use the computer for a hot second). "Room 612, excellent view of the lake!" he chirped. I tried to channel positivity. Room 612. We'll see.
- 3:30 PM - Room Inspection & Minor Panic Attack: Okay, 612. The "excellent view" wasn't quite as advertised. It involved a lot of sky and a sliver of water. Fine. The room itself? Clean-ish. The carpet has seen things. The bedspread? Let's just say I'm glad I packed my own Lysol wipes. My first internal monologue, "Is this what I hoped for?" Nope. Oh well. Nothing to do now, I was there.
- 4:00 PM - First Wander & Accidental Exercise: I decide to venture, and I find myself wandering aimlessly. A bit of a walk to the hotel's cafe: The Lakeview Bar and Bistro The place had a good view, a good vibe, and a slightly overpriced latte. I felt a moment of pure, unadulterated "I'm on vacation!" bliss, quickly followed by the realization that I should probably have brought a book. Sigh.
- 6:00 PM - Dinner & The Great Pizza Quest: Tonight, I decided to try to find some deep-dish pizza (because, Chicago). After a bit of deliberation, I got a cab and travelled to the iconic Lou Malnati's Pizzeria. The anticipation was killing me! So, I order. I get a slice of the classic deep-dish, and it's…okay. It's really good, don't get me wrong. I expected a life-altering experience. I think my expectations were simply too high.
- 8:00 PM - Evening Stroll & "Accidental" Shopping: Post-pizza, I opted for a scenic evening stroll. It was probably a good idea that I wandered into the downtown area. Ended up seeing the stores. I almost bought a ridiculously expensive scarf. Almost. I have a weakness for soft things and retail therapy. The lakefront at night is beautiful, that's for sure. I did manage to resist. This time.
- 9:30 PM - Back to the Room & Deep Thoughts: Back at the hotel. I just watched some TV and tried to settle in, but my mind wanders with the deep thoughts. Is this what I'm supposed to be doing in life? Or is this just a random vacation?
- 10:30 PM - Sleep: I hope and pray for sleep.
Saturday: Dive Deep, Stumble Sideways, and Question Everything
- 8:00 AM - Breakfast & Regret: Okay, so. The hotel breakfast buffet. I was warned. I ignored the warnings. It's… adequate, I went to the Lakeview Bar and Bistro again. I am at a point where I could care less.
- 9:00 AM - The Art Institute & My Existential Crisis Continues: Okay, The Art Institute of Chicago. I'm not a huge art person. But everyone says you HAVE to go. And it's… overwhelming. So much stuff. I mean, there were some paintings. And some statues. And people milling around looking very, very serious. I spent a solid hour in front of A Sunday on La Grande Jatte. I had no idea what I was looking at, but everyone else seemed to.
- 12:00 PM - Lunch & The Great Pretender: I just grabbed a quick sandwich and a coffee. People were there, wandering. I wish that I could join their group.
- 1:00 PM - Shedd Aquarium & The Alligator Incident: I decide to head to the Shedd Aquarium. The aquarium… it’s cool. Fish, jellyfishes. I get distracted by the penguins. The sharks are cool, really cool. But I get to the alligator. Now, alligators. They are… ancient. And I swear, the one in the Shedd had a look of pure, unadulterated boredom. Like, existed since the dinosaurs, and all it has to do is sit in a tank and look at humans. I started to feel for it. I think I spent 30 minutes just staring at that alligator, contemplating the meaning of life. My own life suddenly seemed very trivial.
- 4:00 PM - Deep-Dish Pizza: The Redemption Arc: Determined to have my pizza moment, I went back to the original pizza place. This time, I knew what to expect. And, you know what? It was phenomenal. It's like, my brain adjusted. My soul was refreshed. I even talked to the guy who made it and got him to give me some advice.
- 6:00 PM - Evening at the Hotel & More Deep Thoughts Back at the room. I went to the windows, and I stare. I sit on the bed. I stare. After a long, deep thought I think, no; I know: I do not understand people.
- 7:30 PM - Evening stroll I walked, and as I walked, I met people who were just like me. People who were just there. And it felt… right. I went back and watched TV.
- 10:00 PM - Sleep, Finally
Sunday: Farewell, Chicago, And a Promise to Return (…Maybe)
- 9:00 AM - The Hotel Breakfast: A Second Look: Sigh. Breakfast, again. I was too tired to care, I just went for it. it was mostly carbs and lukewarm coffee.
- 10:00 AM - Check Out & The Last Glimpse: Check-out was blessedly uneventful. I took one last look at the Lake Shore Hotel. It was… okay. It exists. And it served its purpose
- 11:00 AM - Departure for Airport: Headed for the airport.
- 12:00 PM - Emotional Baggage & Reflections: As I look out the plane window, all I can think is, "Chicago. You were… something."
- 1:00 PM - Flight Home
So there you have it. The Chicago Lake Shore Hotel. The trip wasn't perfect. But it was real. And sometimes, that's all that matters. Until next time, Chicago!
Opal Sands Clearwater: Florida's Paradise Awaits!
Escape to Paradise: Chicago Lake Shore Hotel - You Have Questions? I Have... Answers (Maybe)!
So, is this "Escape to Paradise" actually *paradise*? Because let's be real, Chicago in winter... not exactly the Garden of Eden, is it?
Alright, buckle up, because I'm gonna be brutally honest here. "Paradise?" Nah. But listen, after slogging through a Chicago winter that felt like a permanent ice age, just *walking* inside that hotel, away from the biting wind, felt like a mini-miracle. See, the lobby *smelled* good – seriously, like expensive shampoo and promise. They had these gigantic floral arrangements that were probably costing them a fortune, but hey, it worked! It tricked my brain into thinking, "Hey, maybe I *am* in a slightly less depressing place than the frozen tundra outside." Paradise? No. Much-needed escape from seasonal affective disorder? Absolutely.
Anecdote Time! The first time I went, my partner and I were *so* excited, we forgot to pack a bottle opener. Ended up trying to pry open a beer with a damn room key. Total disaster. Almost lost a finger. Paradise, my arse. But... we laughed about it for days, and that, my friends, is worth more than a tropical beach any day.
Okay, so the hotel is nice... But what's the *view* like? You know, the "Lake Shore" part? Can you actually *see* the lake?
Okay, let's be clear. "Lake Shore" does *not* always equal "jaw-dropping panoramic views." And I say that from experience. Sometimes, you get a room with a view so majestic, you feel like you're floating. Other times... well, you're staring at the back of a brick building, or a parking lot. It's a gamble, people. A gamble I've lost more often than won!
My personal experience and rant: The first time I *splurged* on a "lake view" room, I was expecting the iconic Chicago skyline. What I got? A sliver of water behind a ridiculously ugly apartment building. Seriously, the building looked like it was designed by a committee of grumpy accountants. I felt cheated! I actually *called* the front desk to complain (I'm a complainer; what can I say?). They offered to move me, but I was already settled and didn't want to pack everything up again. Lesson learned: Ask for a specific room number if you're picky, even if it means sounding like a high-maintenance diva. (Which, let's be honest, I sometimes am.)
Are the rooms… clean? Because, you know, hotels. And I'm a germaphobe. Don’t judge.
Alright, germaphobes, listen up! The rooms *generally* seem clean. I, too, am a bit of a clean freak, so I get it. The beds typically look crisp and inviting. I always do the mandatory "bed bug check" (because, you know… paranoia). So far, so good. But, and this is a big BUT, sometimes I catch a whiff of something... *off*. Not always, but sometimes. Like a hint of... old hotel carpet.
A little bit of a confession: I ALWAYS bring Clorox wipes. Always. I wipe down *everything* – light switches, the remote, the phone... you name it. I'm not proud, but I sleep better knowing I've waged war on potential bacteria. And honestly? It's probably the only thing that keeps me from completely freaking out in public restrooms.
What's the food situation like? Is there a decent restaurant or am I stuck eating stale vending machine snacks?
Okay, this is where things get a bit… inconsistent. They *usually* have a restaurant, and sometimes there's even room service! The restaurant food can be… fine. Average. Occasionally surprisingly good. Look, I'm not going to lie, I've had meals where I swore the chef was having an off day. Other times, the burger was divine, the fries perfectly crisp. It's a gamble, friends, a gamble!
Another confession: If I'm feeling lazy (which is often) and the dining options are looking bleak, I'm a big fan of ordering pizza. The hotel *usually* delivers. It's not exactly fine dining, but it's warm, cheesy, and delivers the comfort I crave. And sometimes, that's all you need after a day of battling wind chill and grumpy Chicagoans.
Mini-rant on Room Service: Speaking of, room service can be a real letdown. Cold fries, soggy sandwiches... It’s a gamble! I once ordered a club sandwich that was delivered… 45 minutes *after* I'd called. Looked like it had been kicked across the floor. Still ate it because I was starving and didn't want to wait longer.
Are there any perks? Like, a pool? A gym? A tiny, hope-inspiring escape?
Okay, the perks... They *usually* have a pool, which is a definite plus. I mean, who doesn't like a little indoor swim when it’s freezing outside? Don't expect an Olympic-sized swimming pool, but it does the job. The gym? Often, yes. Usually, it’s got the basics. Treadmills, weights… the usual suspects. I, personally, am more of a "sit on the couch and watch Netflix" kind of gal, but hey, good for the people who actually use it!
One time I tried the gym: I swear, the treadmill was possessed. I was walking at a leisurely pace and it suddenly, *violently*, sped up. I nearly flew off the thing. Ended up looking like a complete idiot. Decided to stick to the couch from then on. Way less embarrassing.
What about the staff? Are they friendly or do they act like they’d rather be anywhere else?
The staff… okay, it’s a mixed bag, just like life. Some are genuinely lovely, helpful, and go above and beyond (shout out to the amazing bellhops who struggle with my heavy luggage!). Others… well, they might seem a little weary, you know? They're dealing with hotel guests, potentially grumpy ones, all day long. I get it.
The time I got a truly amazing staff member: One time, I had a *major* issue with my room (the toilet wouldn’t flush, which, hello? Disaster). The maintenance guy, bless his heart, was a saint. He was patient, apologetic, and fixed the problem with amazing speed. He even offered me a complimentary bottle of wine after he was done! Those small gestures make a huge difference. It could have been awful, but the staff made it a lot better.
The occasional experience of bad staff: On the other hand, I once had a front desk clerk who acted like *I* was inconveniencing *him* by checking in. He was just… rude.Comfy Hotel Finder


Post a Comment for "Escape to Paradise: Chicago Lake Shore Hotel Awaits!"