
Escape to Paradise: Onomichi Royal Hotel Awaits in Japan!
Escape to Paradise… or Just Onomichi? A Raw Review of the Onomichi Royal Hotel
Okay, alright, buckle up buttercups. I've just returned from the Onomichi Royal Hotel, and frankly, I need to process. This ain't your glossy brochure review; this is a messy, unfiltered download of my experience. So, grab a coffee, a beer, whatever floats your boat, because this is gonna be a wild ride.
(Metadata Snippet: Onomichi Royal Hotel Review, Japan, Accessibility, Spa, Pools, Food, Travel, COVID-19 Safety, Family Friendly, Luxury)
Let's start where all good adventures do: Accessibility. Now, I'm lucky enough not to be reliant on a wheelchair, but I always pay attention. The hotel claims to have facilities for disabled guests. Claim being the operative word. I saw an elevator, and the main areas seemed navigable, but honestly, I didn't see a dedicated ramp to everywhere. Might be worth a call if you’re specifically hunting for total, top-notch accessible accommodations though they DO have an elevator. (Phew, that was a close one.)
Internet - The internet, bless its cotton socks. Free Wi-Fi in all rooms, y'know? Pretty standard these days. They also have Internet access [LAN] for those dinosaurs who still use a cable! I, of course, embraced the convenience, the Wi-Fi signal was strong enough. It's important for getting work done, or more importantly, for showing off your incredible sushi photos on Instagram. (Priorities, people!) They definitely advertised Internet services.
Cleanliness and Safety - COVID-19 Edition: Okay, this is HUGE right now. They were trying. I'll give them that. They had Anti-viral cleaning products, and they were using them. Daily disinfection in common areas didn't go unnoticed. The staff were trained in safety protocol, which was reassuring. The rooms are sanitized between stays. Room sanitization opt-out available is pretty cool. Hand sanitizer was everywhere. Physical distancing of at least 1 meter was a thing. They were also offering things like Individually-wrapped food options, and the kitchen was declared Sanitized kitchen and tableware items. The downside? It felt a bit like living in a hospital. Constant reminders of the pandemic, you know? But better safe than sorry, I guess. They also had the Hygiene certification.
Dining, Drinking, and Snacking… Oh, the FOOD! Okay, this is where things get interesting. The Asian breakfast was AMAZING. I'm talking steaming bowls of miso soup, delicate rice porridge, and enough pickled ginger to pickle a small army. But the Western breakfast? Let's just say it left something to be desired. The Buffet in restaurant was a bit chaotic, with people hovering over the scrambled eggs like vultures. There was a Breakfast [buffet], and then they also have Breakfast service AND Breakfast takeaway service, so you have options. They have things like Coffee/tea in restaurant, Coffee shop. Soup in restaurant, of course, and Salad in restaurant so you can at least pretend to be healthy. They had Restaurants with International cuisine in restaurant, Western cuisine in restaurant, and Asian cuisine in restaurant. They have the Poolside bar. The Happy hour was a lifesaver! And, of course, the Room service [24-hour]. (Which, let's be honest, I definitely took advantage of at 3 am after a particularly boisterous happy hour.)
Let's talk about the pool. Swimming pool [outdoor]. Okay. The pictures online are gorgeous. Reality? A bit… underwhelming. The Pool with view was… fine. But the view wasn't quite the postcard-perfect vista I'd been imagining. Still, floating there with a cocktail and judging everyone else's swimwear was a solid way to spend an afternoon.
Things to Do, Ways to Relax… and My Existential Crisis in the Sauna. This is where the "Royal" part of the Onomichi Royal Hotel sort of comes into play. The Spa/sauna was where I spent most of my time. They have the Sauna. I'm not sure what to say about the pool, but let me tell you about the Steamroom! I went in there, and immediately started questioning my life choices. My life choices, the purpose of existence, everything. It was amazing. The **Body scrub, Body wrap, *Gym/fitness* was alright. The Foot bath. It was nice, I guess. I also had a Massage, which was heavenly. (But also, kind of expensive. Worth it, though.)
Services and Conveniences: The Good, the Bad, and the Annoying. They have a Concierge, a Doorman, and the Front desk [24-hour] - all doing their best. They also had Air conditioning in public area, an elevator, and the blessed Laundry service, because after all that relaxing, one needs clean clothes. Facilities for disabled guests are technically available. Cash withdrawal available. Plus Currency exchange. Also Luggage storage which is useful, because I have too much luggage. The Convenience store was a lifesaver for late-night snacks. They gave me an Invoice provided. They also had the Food delivery. They provided the Bottle of water, which is always good. The Dry cleaning and Ironing service. However, I did notice a few things. They gave me a Daily housekeeping, which honestly, was a little invasive, but I understand.
For the Kids (if you're into that sort of thing): They were pretty Family/child friendly. They had Babysitting service and Kids meal.
Rooms: My Tiny Mountain of Comfort: Okay, the room. It was small. But it was clean. The Non-smoking rooms felt fresh. The Air conditioning worked, praise the heavens. The Blackout curtains were a godsend for sleeping off the jet lag and enjoying the On-demand movies The Private bathroom was modern and spotless. The Coffee/tea maker was a lifesaver. I also had the internet, the Internet access – wireless was great. I ended up using the Laptop workspace and they have a Desk there. They included the Free bottled water, and Complimentary tea. The Bathrobes were so comfy! I even had a Slippers and Mirror and Seating area. They also had a Refrigerator and a Mini bar. They had the In-room safe box, and they had a Safe/security feature. The Alarm clock woke me up every morning. The Bathroom phone was a quirky touch. I even got a Wake-up service! The Smoke detector was a nice touch as well. The Sofa was a place to relax. And they had a Window that opens!
Getting Around: Conveniently, they offered Airport transfer. They gave me Taxi service. The Car park [free of charge] was a bonus, but I didn’t need it. They have Bicycle parking, if you're feeling adventurous.
Anything Else? They had a Family/child friendly, they have a Proposal spot, there are Smoking area. They have the Fire extinguisher and they have Safety/security feature plus the Security [24-hour] and CCTV in common areas and CCTV outside property. They also have a Shrine. They Hotel chain. They had Exterior corridor. They gave me Towels. The Umbrella was useful. They even have the Toiletries.
The Verdict:
Would I go back to the Onomichi Royal Hotel? Maybe. It’s not perfect. It has its issues (the sometimes-iffy internet, the slightly disappointing pool, the slightly-too-hospital-like feel from the COVID precautions). But it's clean, the staff are friendly (mostly), and the Asian breakfast is genuinely worth the trip. And let's be honest, sometimes, that's all you need. Just manage your expectations and bring a good book, and maybe a therapist. You've been warned.
Escape to Paradise: SpringHill Suites El Paso Awaits!
Okay, buckle up, buttercups, because this isn't your grandma's perfectly-packaged travel itinerary. This is Onomichi, Japan, through the bleary, slightly jet-lagged eyes of yours truly. And the Onomichi Royal Hotel? Well, let's just say we'll get to know each other intimately. Prepare for a train wreck (hopefully of the good kind!) of emotions, observations, and questionable decisions.
ONOMICHI ROYAL HOTEL: A LOVE/HATE AFFAIR (ANTICIPATED)
Day 1: Arrival and the Glorious/Slightly Terrifying Bike Ride
- 14:00 (ish): Arrive at Hiroshima Airport. Ugh, airports. All that sterile, soul-sucking fluorescent lighting. Why do they always smell faintly of disinfectant and regret? Dragging my suitcase through the airport, I spot a sign for the bus to Onomichi Station. Okay, no problem, I tell myself. This is fine. Completely and utterly fine. (I might have muttered a desperate plea to the travel gods for fluent Japanese at this point.)
- 16:00: Bus to Onomichi Station! Success! Okay, well, the bus was a little… squishy. But hey, Japanese efficiency! Now a quick taxi ride over to the Onomichi Royal Hotel. Its grand building dominates the hill, a promise of a comfortable stay.
- 17:00: Check-in. Sweet, the room looks perfect. But then the door opens to reveal THE most spectacular view! It was a panorama of Onomichi city and the water. Okay, this is already SO much better than the airport restroom. I'm officially in love.
- 18:00: Dinner, and then they have this thing called a "bike tour". Now, I love biking, BUT I've also got the coordination of a drunk octopus. I’m talking about a real adventure. I feel excited and nervous! I decide to jump in… The tour sets off. The path is so clear and calm, the wind is blowing through my hair… We reach a small temple, a moment of serenity. As I explore its halls and gardens, I could see the city beneath me. A wave of tranquility washes over me. Then, we reach the top of the hill, the view of Onomichi. It was stunning.
Day 2: Temple Time & Cat Café Chaos (and Ramen Dreams)
- 08:00: Breakfast! Oh my GOD the spread! So many tiny dishes, all so beautifully presented. I loaded up on everything. Then off to the local temples! I’d read they were special, unique. I got lost in the stone paths, the serene atmosphere.
- 11:00: I venture out to find the famous cat cafÄ›! After seeing so many cats, I was so happy to see them! (I have a soft spot for furry friends.) The cafe was…a lot. Cats EVERYWHERE. Fluffy, sleek, grumpy, playful. It was a sensory overload in the best way possible. I accidentally tripped over a particularly majestic Persian (mortified), but eventually calmed down and got in some quality cuddle time.
- 13:00: LUNCH. I finally found the ramen spot I'd been drooling over. The broth was rich, the noodles perfectly chewy, the pork…heavenly. I slurped it up like it was my last meal on earth. (Which, considering my questionable history with spicy food, it almost felt like it!)
- 14:00: Another round of temple visits. Each temple, each winding path, each moment of quiet contemplation, it was like the city was breathing.
- 17:00: Back at the hotel. A much-needed nap. Jet lag is a cruel mistress.
- 19:00: Dinner at a local restaurant! I find one recommended by a local, the owner welcomes me, and I discover a simple but hearty and delicious dish. The next day, I will find out that I fell asleep on my hotel's living room.
Day 3: Island Adventures & Goodbye (Probably Crying)
- 09:00: Boat trip to a small island. This is where the REAL adventure begins. I hopped on a ferry, the sea breeze whipping through my hair, feeling impossibly free.
- 10:00: Hiking, walking, or just chilling… exploring, the island's beauty. Its dramatic landscape, and a pace of life, more relaxed. Fresh air, sunshine… it was perfect.
- 13:00: Lunch at a tiny local café. Every bite felt like a small piece of paradise.
- 15:00: Back to Onomichi. One last stroll through the city. Squeezing in every last sensory experience.
- 17:00: Back to the hotel. I gaze at the view. I love this place!
- 19:00: Farewell dinner at the hotel. They say goodbye to me, with sincerity and warmth.
- 20:00: Maybe I'll start crying? The trip's ending, and I'm leaving a piece of my heart here.
Day 4 - (Departure)
- 08:00: I decide to skip breakfast. I need to avoid more emotional turmoil.
- 08:30: Check-out. Another glance at the view. This time, I'm sure tear will stream down.
- 09:00: I catch the bus to Hiroshima.
- 11:00: Flight departure.
Reflections (Post-Trip, Probably Crying More)
- Onomichi Royal Hotel: Pretty darn good! I'll likely still be in awe of the view.
- The bike ride: I'll need to practice, but I think that the best thing that happened to me.
- The people: The locals were warm and welcoming! They will make me look like a repeat visitor.
- Japan: A place of contradictions, beauty, and absolutely mind-blowing food.
- The tears? They were worth it!
Final Verdict:
Onomichi, you beautiful, slightly chaotic place. Thank you for the ramen, the cats, the breathtaking views, and the emotional rollercoaster. I'll be back, I'm sure of it. And I'll probably bring a box of tissues.
Bulls Gap Getaway: Wyndham Super 8 Hotel Review (Amazing!)
Escape to Paradise: Onomichi Royal Hotel Awaits - Let's Get Real!
Okay, Spill the Tea: Is Onomichi Royal Hotel *Really* Paradise? Or Just, You Know... Japanese Hotel?
Alright, alright, let's cut the fluff. "Paradise"? That's a big word. Look, Onomichi Royal Hotel is… *fantastic*. But let's be honest, I almost choked on my matcha thinking about that promo photo. The reality? It’s not some Disney-fied version of paradise. It's more *real* paradise. You know, the kind with a slightly wonky air conditioner in your room (more on that later), occasional grumpy seagulls, and enough charm to make your soul sing. It's Japan. It's authentic. And honestly? That's way, *way* better than a curated Instagram feed dream.
The View! Everyone's Raving About the View! Was it... *worth* the hype? Did the hotel's view actually blow your mind?
Okay, okay, the view. This is where it gets serious. I mean, the brochures don't lie. You've got this panoramic view of the Seto Inland Sea, the islands scattered like emerald jewels... Honestly? I nearly cried. No, seriously. I actually *did* cry. Maybe it was the jet lag, maybe it was the sheer, stunning *beauty* of it all. I woke up at 5 AM one morning, fully expecting to be annoyed. Nope. Stood there, in my hotel room yukata, just… *stunned*. I swear I thought I was hallucinating. This view is worth every single penny. It *is* the main draw, I think.
Speaking of which, how *was* your room? Tell me all the gory details. Did it make you want to check out immediately? (Be honest!)
The room… Okay, the room. It was… functional. Let's just say it wasn't the Taj Mahal. It wasn't bad, by any means! Clean, comfortable bed, classic Japanese design - it was good enough. But that air conditioner? It had a mind of its own. Like, you'd set it to a comfortable temperature, and BAM! Arctic blast. Or… nothing at all. It’s one of those minor *imperfections* I was talking about. But hey, that's part of the charm, right? Also, I *swear* I heard the neighbor's karaoke one night. But, I was so relaxed after seeing the sunset and downing the hotel's delicious sake, it didn’t bother me. The view, the staff, the LOCATION, all were phenomenal. I almost didn’t notice.
Food! The most important question: Did you eat ALL THE THINGS? And, more importantly, what should I absolutely *not* miss food-wise?
Oh, the food. Where do I even *begin*? Okay, first, the breakfast buffet. Embrace it. Embrace the tiny pancakes, the miso soup, the pickled vegetables you can’t identify but are mysteriously addictive. Don’t be shy! Try everything. The on-site restaurant, though… *chef's kiss*. Seriously. And definitely, *definitely*, get the local seafood. I had this grilled fish one night. I still dream about it. And the sake. Oh, the sake! Find a local sake, you won’t regret it. Honestly, the food alone is worth the trip, even if the air conditioner *did* try to freeze me solid. Also the staff were so nice! They even helped me with my rusty Japanese.
How hard is it to *get* to the Onomichi Royal Hotel? Are you a good driver? Tell me more about how accessible is it?
Okay, let's talk logistics. Reaching Onomichi is relatively easy. You can get there by train, which is a beautiful ride, or by car, which is... an adventure. I opted for public transport, because, well, I'm not exactly known for my stellar driving skills. The hotel is close from the JR Onomichi Station, and it's a short hop from there. You can also hire a taxi that is readily available around the station. If you're coming by car, be prepared for some narrow roads, and honestly, I'd let someone else drive. Trust me.
What about the staff? Were they helpful/friendly/annoyingly polite?
The staff? Absolutely lovely. They were the epitome of Japanese hospitality - polite, helpful, and genuinely wanting you to have a good time. They weren't in-your-face, which is PERFECT for me. They spoke enough English to get by, and when there was a language barrier (and there always is to some degree), they didn't hesitate to pull out a translation app and help you. I'd get lost walking around town and they were always happy to help me and give suggestions about the city.
Is there anything *around* the hotel? Like, can you explore? Or are you just stuck in your room, marveling at the view?
Definitely explore! The hotel is in a great location. You can walk to the famous Senko-ji Temple, which is a MUST-DO for the views alone. There are also some charming little shops and cafes scattered around. And the Onomichi Canal! It's just so pretty. It's a fantastic base of operations, seriously. You can easily spend a day or two exploring the area. Bring good walking shoes!
Alright, let's get real: Did you get *bored*?
Bored? Absolutely not. Never. Okay, maybe for like, five minutes. But then I'd just look out the window again. No, seriously, there's plenty to do. I mean, you can take a ferry to another island, visit the temples, wander the narrow streets, or just sit and watch the boats go by. It’s that perfect mix of relaxation and exploration. I read two books. I watched the sunset. I ate all the food. I might have even tried to take a nap, but the view kept pulling me back. Boredom isn't an option. Trust me.
Would you go back? Be honest, what’s the real deal?
Would I go back?Jet Set Hotels


Post a Comment for "Escape to Paradise: Onomichi Royal Hotel Awaits in Japan!"