Cartagena's Hidden Gem: Hotel La Casona de Getsemani - Unforgettable Stay!

Hotel La Casona de Getsemani Cartagena Colombia

Hotel La Casona de Getsemani Cartagena Colombia

Cartagena's Hidden Gem: Hotel La Casona de Getsemani - Unforgettable Stay!

Cartagena's Hidden Gem? Let's Dive into La Casona de Getsemani! - A Review (and a Rant or Two)

Okay, so let's talk about Cartagena. Holy moly, what a place. Cobblestone streets, vibrant colors exploding everywhere… it's sensory overload in the best possible way. And amidst all the buzz, lies La Casona de Getsemani. Everyone raves about it, so naturally, I had to go. Was it the hidden gem everyone claimed? Let's unpack it, shall we? And trust me, this isn't going to be some sterile, cookie-cutter review. This is… my experience.

Accessibility – A Mixed Bag, Sadly.

Alright, so right off the bat, let's get a reality check. Accessibility… is not their strong suit. They list Facilities for disabled guests, which sounds promising, but details are sparse. I didn't personally need those, but I did notice the historical building means… steps. Lots of steps. And narrow corridors. So, be aware. This isn't the place if you're mobility challenged. I'm not sure about the specifics, but better to check directly with the hotel on that. It’s just a hunch, you know?

The Vibe: Charm Personified (Mostly) - And the Minor Annoyances

La Casona is built in a renovated colonial house, and the architecture is simply stunning. Those high ceilings, the inner courtyards… It's immediately Instagrammable. The Elevator is a godsend (for those of us who weren't planning on climbing the Spanish steps every time we wanted a coffee!).

The staff? Generally lovely, friendly, and eager to help. But… and there's always a "but," right?… communication occasionally stumbled. My Spanish is… passable. Let's just say I can order a beer and maybe ask for directions. Sometimes, things got lost in translation. Like, when I thought I'd ordered a massage (more on that later). Maybe it was my fault, maybe theirs… who knows.

Cleanliness & Safety – Feeling Safe-ish

Okay, COVID. Let's address the elephant in the room. They tout a load of precautions: Daily disinfection in common areas, Hand sanitizer everywhere, Staff trained in safety protocol, Rooms sanitized between stays… All sounds good in theory. The Anti-viral cleaning products sign was reassuring (though I have no idea if they actually use them). I appreciated the Cashless payment service as I'm trying to avoid touching… anything.

The Security [24-hour] and CCTV in common areas. I felt generally safe within the hotel. The whole "sanitized" thing had me feeling more comfortable than I normally am.

Rooms - A Mix of Bliss and Minor Glitches

My room? Gorgeous. Absolutely gorgeous. Non-smoking, thankfully (because, seriously, who smokes inside anymore?!). Air conditioning was a MUST in Cartagena's heat. Blackout curtains saved my sanity (and my sleep schedule). The Free Wi-Fi worked like a charm, and the Internet access – wireless was a lifesaver. They’d also listed Internet access – LAN, but who uses that in 2024, right?

I had a Private bathroom, which is essential. Bathrobes are always a plus (hotel luxury, yay!). Complimentary tea… a nice touch. Extra long bed - thank goodness, because I'm a long-legged monster. Refrigerator … fantastic for keeping my agua fresca icy cold (essential!).

But (again!) … there were a few minor issues. My Shower pressure was… weak. Like, "gentle rain forest mist" weak. Not great when you're covered in sunscreen and want to feel clean. Also, my Alarm clock malfunctioned. Woke up late for a tour. Grrr. And, for the love of all that is holy, a Hair dryer that actually, you know, dried hair, instead of spitting out lukewarm air, would be amazing! Food & Drink - Oh, Those Tempting Buffets…

Breakfast… yes, the breakfast! Breakfast [buffet] was the highlight. I'm a sucker for a buffet. Asian breakfast? Never tried it. Maybe next time. Western breakfast? Absolutely. Fresh fruit, eggs cooked to order, Coffee/tea in restaurant… heaven. But… and you know it's coming… the line for the omelet station on Saturday morning was approximately the length of the Amazon River. My stomach was rumbling!

The Poolside bar was delightful for a Happy hour cocktail (or two). They have Restaurants, a Snack bar, and Room service [24-hour], all of which provide options. A few times I had some Salad in restaurant and some Soup in restaurant, which was great.

Things to Do (and Ways to Relax) - The Massage Disaster!

Okay, this is where things get… interesting. They advertise a ton of Things to do, Body scrub, Body wrap, Fitness center, Foot bath, Gym/fitness, Massage, Pool with view, Sauna, Spa, Spa/sauna, Steamroom, Swimming pool, Swimming pool [outdoor]. I planned to indulge. Big time.

I booked a massage. Or so I thought. See Massage listed? YES! Excited, I trotted up to the treatment room… and was met with a… pedicure. A foot massage, mind you, with some fancy oils. But not the full-body, tension-melting, knots-kicking massage I craved. A misunderstanding, clearly. I tried really hard to get them to change it, but after a while they were busy and I didn't have the time. Lesson learned: make sure very clear communication is established! Perhaps it was my fault, and the staff was helpful in offering other alternatives. Perhaps it was both. Ah well.

The pool? Stunning. That Pool with view is exactly what you need. The Swimming pool [outdoor] was refreshing and perfect for a midday soak after a long day of exploring the city. It was worth it! Services & Conveniences - The Good, The Bad, and the “I Can’t Quite Figure It Out”

Concierge was incredibly helpful with recommendations and booking tours. Daily housekeeping… appreciated. Laundry service… efficient (and my clothes smelled amazing after!).

Currency exchange was convenient. Cash withdrawal… also helpful.

But… and here we go again. Dry cleaning - I used it, and it took FOREVER. Like, longer than it should have. And I’m still not sure what happened to that shirt. Sigh. Food delivery was a lifesaver one rainy afternoon.

For The Kids… Not My Area, But You’re Covered

Babysitting service? Sure. Family/child friendly? Yup. Kids facilities? Probably. Beyond that, I don't personally have any experience with this.

Getting Around… and Parking Freedom!

Airport transfer? Convenient. Taxi service? Readily available. The best part? Car park [free of charge]!!! HUGE bonus. Parking in Cartagena can be a nightmare, so this was a major win. They also offer Valet parking, which is a nice touch.

In Conclusion… Is La Casona de Getsemani a Hidden Gem?

Honestly? It’s complicated.

The Charm is undeniable. The beautiful architecture, the prime location in Getsemani, the generally helpful staff… those are all huge plusses. I adored the Pool with view, and once I managed to finally find a decent massage place it was a great experience.

However, the Accessibility is a concern. The occasional Communication glitches can be frustrating, the Alarm clock was a failure and the Shower pressure left something to be desired.

So, is it a hidden gem? Perhaps. It's definitely charming and a good base for exploring Cartagena. However, come prepared for some minor imperfections. And for the love of all that is holy, double-check your massage!

SEO & Metadata – Let’s Get This Thing Ranked!

Keywords: Cartagena, La Casona de Getsemani, Hotel Review, Colombia, Getsemani, Colonial Hotel, Accessibility, Swimming Pool, Spa, Restaurants, Free Wi-Fi, Airport Transfer, Breakfast, Poolside Bar, Massage, Historic Hotel, Safe Hotel, Travel Review.

Metadata:

  • Title: Cartagena's Hidden Gem? Hotel La Casona de Getsemani Review
  • Description: Unforgettable stay in Cartagena! Read my honest review of La Casona de Getsemani, exploring accessibility, amenities, dining, and whether it truly lives up to the hype. Includes pros, cons, and some slightly dramatic stories.
  • Keywords: (as above, plus variations)
  • Author: Your Name Here (or a clever travel blog handle)
  • Category: Travel, Hotel Reviews, South America, Colombia
  • Image Alt Tags: (Use descriptive alt
Odessa Getaway: TownePlace Suites - Your Perfect Texas Escape!

Book Now

Hotel La Casona de Getsemani Cartagena Colombia

Hotel La Casona de Getsemani Cartagena Colombia

Okay, buckle up, buttercups, because this isn't going to be your crisp, perfectly-ironed itinerary. This is going to be a sweaty, rum-soaked, and slightly-hungover account of my time at Hotel La Casona de Getsemani in Cartagena, Colombia. Prepare for some bumps, some beauty, and maybe a tear or two. Let's go!

Day 1: Arrival - And Immediately Regretting My Packing Choices (Too Much Stuff!)

  • 1:00 PM: Arrive at Rafael Núñez International Airport (CTG). Sun. Blazing. Humidity. Like a damp blanket you can't escape. My carefully curated "travel light" plan? Shredded to pieces. My bag weighs more than a small donkey. Swear I brought a whole pharmacy!
  • 1:30 PM: Taxi to La Casona. The driver, a man named Alejandro with eyes that twinkled like he knew all the city's secrets (probably did), navigated the chaotic Cartagena traffic with the grace of a seasoned matador. I'm already slightly terrified, and already absolutely in love.
  • 2:00 PM: Check-in. The hotel itself? Stunning. That's the only word. A beautifully restored colonial building, vibrant bougainvillea cascading over balconies, a central courtyard with a tiny pool that looked infinitely inviting. The smell! Vanilla, salt, and old books! Seriously, I inhaled deeply and almost forgot I'd lugged that damn donkey-bag.
  • 2:30 PM: Room reveal. Okay, so it's beautiful, but my room (a "Deluxe Suite," mind you) is on the sunniest side of the building. Note to self: request a shady room next time. And the air conditioning groaned a bit dramatically but thankfully, it works.
  • 3:00 PM: Unpacking, attempting to find the essentials (sunscreen, after-sun, ALL THE THINGS). I swear I packed everything but a parachute. Also, where did I put my passport?! Deep breaths. Must. Stay. Calm.
  • 4:00 PM: Poolside bliss. Finally! Dipped in that tiny, glorious pool. The water cool against my skin. Started reading a book (about pirates, naturally) and promptly got lost in the pages.
  • 6:00 PM: First casualty of the trip. Ordered a mojito. Made the mistake of ordering two. My friend had a margarita. She was fine. I, however, am now experiencing the first signs of the "Cartagena Happy Hangover." Oh dear.
  • 7:00 PM: Exploring Getsemani. Holy moly, this neighborhood! Graffiti art exploding from every wall, music spilling out of every doorway, people laughing, the scent of street food cooking… pure sensory overload. Stumbled upon a tiny restaurant called "La Cevichería." The food looked incredible. More about this later…

Day 2: Ceviche Dreams and Stumbling Through History

  • 9:00 AM: The Cartagena Happy Hangover has officially arrived. Regret the two mojitos. The world is swaying. Coffee, and lots of it, is essential.
  • 10:00 AM: Breakfast at the hotel. Fresh fruit, arepas, eggs… and a very strong Colombian coffee that actually managed to resurrect me. The hotel’s breakfast area is a tiny courtyard. I adore this place!
  • 11:00 AM: Wandering the Walled City. Okay, the history is fascinating, all the stories of pirates and battles and Spanish colonialists. But I'm more interested in the color of the walls (sun-baked terracotta, vibrant yellows, and blues), the way the bougainvillea spills over balconies, and the general feel of being transported to another era.
  • 1:00 PM: Lunch. Back to La Cevichería. Yes, it was THAT good. The ceviche mixto—tender seafood bathed in lime juice, onions, cilantro, and a secret chili pepper kick—was a revelation. I sat there, smiling like an idiot, and devoured every last bite. Seriously, I think I might have died and gone to ceviche heaven.
    • Side Note: The Ceviche Obsession: Okay, let's just pause for a moment. I'm obsessed. Properly, completely, hopelessly obsessed. I've eaten ceviche every single possible meal. My friend is getting slightly worried. I don't care. This is a journey.
  • 3:00 PM: The Castillo San Felipe de Barajas. Okay, the views are AMAZING from the fortress. History lesson: It's a fortress built by the Spanish to protect the city from pirates (who, ironically, I'm now quite fond of, thanks to my pirate-themed book). Walked through, took pictures, learned a lot. But honestly, the view of Cartagena from above? Absolutely breath-taking.
  • 5:00 PM: Back to the pool. Sunscreen, a book, and the sound of splashing water. Utter bliss. Almost felt completely renewed.
  • 7:00 PM: Lost in Getsemani again. More street food. More music. More magic. Found a tiny art gallery tucked away on a side street. Bought a painting of a woman selling fruit. It reminds me of everything.
  • 9:00 PM: Dinner at a rooftop restaurant in the Walled City. The lights of the city twinkled below us. Ordered more ceviche. (Surprise!). The waiter brought it. It was the best ceviche I had ever tasted. Again. Started thinking I’d just stay here, forever.

Day 3: Island Excursions, Sunstroke Scare, and a Sudden Craving for Air Conditioning

  • 7:00 AM: I woke up. I would have rather not. My head throbs. The sun beats through my window.
  • 8:00 AM: Breakfast. Tried to convince myself to eat something other than ceviche. Failed.
  • 9:00 AM: Group trip to one of the Islas del Rosario (Rosario Islands). Beautiful beaches, turquoise water, and a boat trip! This was supposed to be my day of pure, unadulterated relaxation. The reality? A minor disaster.
  • 10:00 AM: Boat ride… glorious at first. Then, I made a series of poor decisions. Like, not enough water. Not enough sunscreen. Too much sun.
  • 12:00 PM: Sunstroke. I spent the next few hours alternating between vomiting and a fever. (I told you this wasn’t going to be a perfect trip.)
  • 1:00 PM: Stuck in my room. I was so sick. I thought I would die. Everything hurt.
  • 4:00 PM: I feel slightly human again. The air conditioning is my absolute savior. Crawled to the hotel lobby for a bottle of water.
  • 5:00 PM: A short, very cautious wander around the hotel. Found a tiny shop and bought coconut ice cream. It tasted like heaven.
  • 7:00 PM: Dinner again at La Cevichería. If I was going to embrace death, I might as well embrace it with the best ceviche in Cartagena. (It actually helped. The spice made me feel better.)

Day 4: Farewell (For Now) - The Ceviche is Calling

  • 9:00 AM: Breakfast. This time, I actually managed to choke down some fruit and yogurt.
  • 10:00 AM: Last-minute souvenir shopping in Getsemani. Bought way too many things I probably don't need.
  • 11:00 AM: One last stroll through Getsemani, just to soak it all in. The colors, the sounds, the smells… I'm going to miss this place.
  • 12:00 PM: Check-out. The staff at La Casona were incredibly kind and helpful, especially considering I nearly died on the island the other day. They smiled and asked me how I was feeling, and even recommended some new remedies for sunstroke.
  • 1:00 PM: Taxi to the airport. As I said goodbye to Alejandro, a thought suddenly struck me: He knows all the best spots in Cartagena, and I think I can trust his recommendation.
  • 2:00 PM: Boarding the plane. As the plane lifted into the air, I looked back one last time and knew that I'd be back in Colombia one day. And you know what? The sunburn, the mojito-induced misery, the near-death experience on the island… it was all worth it.
  • 2:30 PM: Thinking about ceviche. Really, really missing ceviche. Until next time, Cartagena. And thank you for the memories.
Grants, NM Getaway: Unbeatable Deals at Super 8!

Book Now

Hotel La Casona de Getsemani Cartagena Colombia

Hotel La Casona de Getsemani Cartagena Colombia```html

Hotel La Casona de Getsemani: FAQs - The Messy Truth! (You've Been Warned...)

Okay, so, what's the BIG deal about La Casona de Getsemani? Everyone raves... is it *really* worth it?

Alright, buckle up. This isn't just a hotel; it's *an experience*. Think crumbling colonial charm meets Instagram-worthy vibes, all smooshed together in a vibrant, loud, and utterly captivating corner of Getsemani. Honestly? Yes, it's worth it. BUT... and this is a big but... it's not for everyone. If you crave sterile perfection and silent nights, RUN. If you want character, a little chaos, and a genuine Cartagena feel... THEN READ ON! Because trust me, the rooster next door has a LOT of opinions.

Location, location, location! How good is it *really* being in Getsemani?

Getsemani is... well, it's the beating heart of Cartagena, and La Casona is smack-dab in the middle of it. Walking out the door is like stepping into a technicolor dreamscape. Street art explodes from every wall, salsa music spills from every doorway, and the smell of arepas and sizzling chorizo hangs heavy in the air. It's AMAZING. BUT. It’s also loud. I mean, REALLY loud. And the cobblestone streets? Beautiful, until you’ve sprained an ankle in your too-chic sandals (true story. Don't judge.) You're practically on top of everything. You're close to the best food, the best bars, the best everything, but you NEED to be prepared for a sensory overload. Consider it a warm embrace from a very enthusiastic hugger who *really* likes to dance.

The Rooms: What's the inside situation? Are they actually nice?

Okay, let's get real. The rooms are… charming. Picture exposed brick, maybe a slightly wonky window (hello, character!), and a decent-sized bed. Some have balconies overlooking the street, which are pure gold for people-watching. Others face the courtyard, which I've heard IS quieter, but... you'll miss the street action! The decor is all colonial with a touch of modern. The bathrooms? Functional, at least. Don't expect ultra-luxury, but they’re clean and do the job. Honestly, I spent minimal time in the room apart from sleeping. You’re in Cartagena! You’re meant to be *outside*! I did, however, spend a solid hour attempting to fix the shower head one morning because it had a mind of its own... so, yeah, perfection isn't quite the word. But it's part of the charm, right?!

Breakfast! Are we talking about a decent spread, or just some stale bread and instant coffee?

The breakfast… ah, the breakfast. It's included, which is already a win. It's not a gargantuan buffet, but it’s GOOD. There’s usually fresh fruit (mangoes, papayas, heaven!), some arepas, eggs (cooked to order, bless their little hearts), and coffee, strong enough to wake the dead (and probably the rooster). It's served in the courtyard, which is lovely unless it’s raining, then it’s a bit of a scramble to find a dry spot. But even on the rainy days, it was still a pleasant experience, just a bit damp, and the coffee warmed me up from within. Also, the staff are genuinely lovely and will try and make you feel like you're sitting at home and chatting.

The Pool. Because, let's be honest, Cartagena is HOT. Is it any good?

The pool is a *godsend*. Seriously. After wandering the sweltering streets, jumping into that cool water is pure bliss. It's small, sure, maybe not big enough for laps, but perfect for a refreshing dip and a bit of lounging. The courtyard around it is beautiful, with plants and a nice vibe. BUT... and I'm not joking when I say this - one time, I saw a bird… *a bird*… taking a bath in it. And it was adorable. And I may have thought about how many germs that tiny avian had on it. So, you know, consider that. Doesn't detract, though! Just… consider it. I still jumped in. I survived. Would recommend!

The Staff: Are they helpful, or just… present?

The staff are one of the HUGE reasons why La Casona shines. They are genuinely warm, friendly, and go above and beyond. They speak English (mostly, with a little charming brokenness in the mix) and are happy to help with anything, from arranging tours to recommending restaurants (take their suggestions, they know what they’re talking about!). They're like your adopted Colombian family for the duration of your stay. One time (and I'm still embarrassed to admit this), I locked myself out of my room at 2 AM. The poor night guard came to my rescue, with a smile, no less. Hero!

Okay, is there anything I *won't* like? Be honest!

Let's be transparent. If you are obsessed with silence, you will struggle. The noise from the street is a constant presence, sometimes fading, sometimes roaring back to life with a late-night motorcycle or a street musician. The hot water can be a little… temperamental, sometimes. And during my visit, the Wi-Fi occasionally went on strike. These are minor imperfections, though, and they are part of the whole quirky equation, or, maybe, I wouldn’t call them imperfections but charms. You're not paying for flawless perfection, you're paying for an experience. A truly, unforgettable experience, that has a few bumps in the road, but it is certainly worth the price tag.

Give me a quick summary: Should I stay there?

YES! (But also, read again carefully.) If you love character, are willing to embrace a little chaos, and want to be in the heart of it all, then La Casona de Getsemani is your jam. Just pack earplugs, maybe a phrasebook, and a sense of adventure. You will love it. You might hate it. (It’s unlikely, though.) Prepare to be charmed. And be prepared to fall in love with Cartagena. It's practically guaranteed. Now, who wants a Mojito? I'm going, it's a requirement.

How does the hotel compare to others? Are there any stand-out features or services?

AhDelightful Hotels

Hotel La Casona de Getsemani Cartagena Colombia

Hotel La Casona de Getsemani Cartagena Colombia

Hotel La Casona de Getsemani Cartagena Colombia

Hotel La Casona de Getsemani Cartagena Colombia

Post a Comment for "Cartagena's Hidden Gem: Hotel La Casona de Getsemani - Unforgettable Stay!"