
Shanghai Sunrise: Bund Hotel's Breathtaking View You NEED to See!
Shanghai Sunrise: Bund Hotel's Breathtaking View You NEED to See! (And Maybe Think Twice About Some Other Stuff) - A Messy Human Review
Alright, buckle up, buttercups, because I'm about to spill the tea on the Shanghai Sunrise: Bund Hotel. The view? Oh my god, the view. Seriously. Breathtaking. You need to see it. Forget planning that fancy dinner, I'd almost live on the balcony. But the rest of the experience? Well… let's just say it’s a little more…complicated.
Metadata & SEO Stuff (Yawn, But Necessary): #ShanghaiHotel #BundView #LuxuryHotel #ShanghaiSunrise #HotelReview #Accessibility #Spa #Dining #ShanghaiTravel #HotelAccessibility #FreeWiFi #RooftopPool #ChinaTravel #HotelViews #ShanghaiLuxury
The Good, The Gorgeous, The "Wowza": The View. The Whole View.
Let's get this out of the way first: the view from the Shanghai Sunrise is absolutely insane. I’m talking postcard-perfect. I spent a stupid amount of time just…staring. The Bund, those iconic skyscrapers… they shimmer at sunrise (duh!), and the river traffic is a mesmerizing dance of boats throughout the day. The hotel gets this. The elevators, the lounges, even the damn gym (more on that disaster later…), all strategically positioned to maximize the vista. They’re selling dreams, and frankly, the view alone almost justifies the price tag. Almost.
Accessibility – A Mixed Bag… And Why My Wheelchair-Bound Cousin Would Have a Field Day (and Maybe a Few Headaches):
Okay, so accessibility is important. I’m happy to report they do have facilities for disabled guests. Elevator access is solid, which is a huge win. They even list "Facilities for disabled guests" in the stuffy official "Services and Conveniences" section. But the devil's in the details. I didn't personally test everything, and I want to be clear about that. But from what I observed, there are a few things. The lobby and public areas seemed pretty manageable for maneuvering a wheelchair. The restaurants claim accessibility, but I’d want to have a really close look at the actual seating arrangements and pathway widths. Some of the spa areas might be a challenge, depending on the setup. Wheelchair accessible rooms are listed and, well, that is a good sign!
My cousin, bless his heart and his well-used wheelchair, is a seasoned traveler. He'd probably love the challenge. He'd also probably demand a proper breakdown of ramp gradients and bathroom layouts. I’m putting this in the review mainly because he would have to read this. Let’s just say, the hotel should probably offer a really transparent, up-to-date accessibility guide on their website. (Hint, hint, Shanghai Sunrise!)
Wi-Fi: Free, But Is It Good Enough? (Because Seriously, We Need Netflix!)
Okay, a HUGE plus: Free Wi-Fi in all rooms, and Wi-Fi in public areas. They even have Internet [LAN] (for my tech-savvy friends, I assume). The speeds were generally decent but I'm not going to lie. There were times I was wrestling with buffering issues while trying to stream some trashy Netflix. So, while it’s free, it isn't always blazing fast. This might be a dealbreaker if you desperately need constant high-speed connectivity.
The Room: A Comfort Zone With a Few Quirks.
The room itself was… comfortable. The details? Well, here’s what I remember:
- Yay: Soundproofing was pretty good, which is essential in a bustling city. The blackout curtains were amazing!
- Okay: Air conditioning worked, but sometimes the controls felt a bit archaic.
- Ugh: The "complimentary" tea wasn't the best quality (I'm a tea snob, sue me). And the "in-room safe box" felt a bit… flimsy. I wouldn't trust my precious jewelry in there.
- Love: The bed? Oh, the bed was divine. Seriously. The pillows! The extra-long bed! I basically lived in it. The amenities were pretty standard: bathrobes (yes!), slippers (yes!), and toiletries, which were, admittedly, nothing to write home about.
Let's Talk About the Spa (Because I Deserve Some Pampering):
Right. The spa. This is where things get a little…scattershot. They have the whole shebang: sauna, steam room, massage, body wraps, and a pool with a view (yes, another amazing view!). The pool? Stunning. Seriously. I spent an embarrassing amount of time lounging there, pretending to be a glamorous socialite. The massage itself? Good, not great. The facilities are quite nice and give off a luxurious vibe. Now, whether or not the services truly match the cost, that is another question.
Dining – A Culinary Adventure (With a Few Hiccups):
The Shanghai Sunrise boasts a bunch of dining options. From the formal "Restaurants" to the casual "Snack Bar," they aim to please. They have a "Vegetarian Restaurant" (important!), and a "Western Cuisine in restaurant." Room service operates 24 hours, an absolute necessity.
- Breakfast Buffet: Decent, but nothing spectacular. The "Asian breakfast" options were a bit more interesting than the standard Western fare. "Coffee/tea in restaurant" is included but again, the coffee was meh.
- The Fine Dining Experience: I splurged at the "A la carte in restaurant." The food was good, but the service was a little… uneven. My waiter seemed distracted. And the prices? Let's just say I nearly choked on my (slightly lukewarm) soup.
- The Poolside Bar: Perfect for pre-dinner cocktails, but the snacks were your basic, uninspired fare.
Cleanliness and Safety – Putting My Anxious Mind at Ease (Sort Of):
Okay, this is where I have to give them some serious credit. They seemed to be taking Covid-19 precautions pretty seriously. They list stuff like: "Anti-viral cleaning products," "Daily disinfection in common areas," "Individually-wrapped food options," and "Room sanitization." Plenty of "Hand sanitizer" stations, too. I still made sure to wipe down everything! The staff wearing masks, and I appreciated the effort. But I still find myself more anxious than necessary, I just don't trust people.
The "Things to Do" and "Ways to Relax" – More Than Meets the Eye (and My Weary Body):
Besides the spa and pool, they offer:
- Fitness Center: Yes, it exists. I peeked in. It looked… adequate. But I’m not a gym person, so I can’t give a detailed assessment.
- What else? Maybe not too much. I had no use for the "Family/child friendly" options and "Kids facilities".
- Other things that might matter to you: They offer business facilities too--a "Business facilities," "Meeting/banquet facilities," the all-important "Meeting/banquet facilities,"" and "Meetings" are listed. There's a "Concierge," "Currency exchange," and "Cash withdrawal."
Services and Conveniences – The Nuts and Bolts (and Occasional Annoyances):
- The Good: Daily housekeeping was efficient. Luggage storage was a lifesaver. The front desk was helpful (mostly).
- The Bad: Getting a taxi felt like a mini-ordeal (taxi service is available, but…). The convenience store was…convenient, but overpriced.
- The Quirky: They have a "Shrine." I have no idea what kind, so I did not know what to feel.
- The Annoyances: The elevators were a bit slow during peak hours.
The Bottom Line…
The Shanghai Sunrise: Bund Hotel is a mixed bag. The view alone almost makes it worth it. But the inconsistencies (the okay service, the slightly questionable Wi-Fi, the pricey food, the slightly uneven service) prevent it from being a flawless experience.
Would I recommend it?
- Yes, with caveats. Go for the view, the pool, and the location. But be prepared for some minor frustrations.
- If you're a stickler for perfection? Maybe look elsewhere.
- If you're okay with a little…flaws? Then absolutely, go! The view is genuinely spectacular, and maybe, just maybe, those flaws add a certain charm. Or maybe I'm over-romanticizing it and trying to justify the massive expense… Either way, pack your camera. And maybe your patience. And, oh yeah, don't forget to double check the accessibility details if you need them.

Alright, here's my hot mess of a Shanghai itinerary, cobbled together with the best intentions and the inevitable jet lag brain fog. Sunrise on the Bund, here I come! Let's see if I survive this…
Sunrise on the Bund & Shanghai Shenanigans - A Hot Mess in the Making
(Okay, first things first. Flight info, bleh bleh. I won't bore you. Let's just say I landed, barely functional, thanks to some questionable airplane food and a screaming baby three rows back. Ugh. I need a nap. And coffee. Lots of coffee.)
Day 1: Arrival, Bund Bliss (maybe), and Carb Overload
- 10:00 AM: FINALLY! Check into the Sunrise on the Bund. Honestly, the lobby is gorgeous. All that polished wood and those sweeping views they promise… well, the view's a bit hazy right now. Guess I’ll reserve judgment until the pollution clears… or until I have a decent cup of coffee.
- 11:00 AM: Attempted to conquer the room. Okay, let's be honest, it conquered me for a solid hour. Jet lag's a beast. The "stunning city view" is currently obscured by a pea-soup fog. But, hey, the bed is comfy. Priorities, people!
- 12:00 PM: Lunch. Found a tiny dumpling place nearby. Ordered what I thought were pork dumplings. Turns out, they were filled with something… interesting. Think mystery meat with a surprising spice kick. Ate them anyway because, well, I'm in Shanghai! Gotta embrace the unknown. (And I'm hungry).
- 2:00 PM: The Bund. Okay, this is actually kinda breathtaking. Even through the haze. The architecture! The history! Suddenly, my jet lag felt less powerful. I walked along the waterfront, dodging selfie sticks and aggressive tour groups. Almost tripped over a tiny dog wearing a sparkly sweater. Shanghai, you weird and wonderful place.
- 4:00 PM: Serious caffeine infusion. Found a Starbucks (yes, I know, I’m a cliché, but sometimes a girl just needs a familiar taste). People-watching in a Shanghai Starbucks is a microcosm of the world. I saw a businessman on a call, a chic woman in a Chanel suit, and a group of teenagers snapping selfies. It was a perfect encapsulation of the city’s mix of old and new.
- 6:00 PM: Dinner at a swanky Bund restaurant. Spent a small fortune on Peking duck and cocktails. The duck was divine, the cocktails were… potent. Tried to speak some Mandarin, which resulted in a lot of confused looks and a waiter who eventually gave up and just brought me another drink. Worth it.
- 8:00 PM: Back to the hotel. My feet are killing me. The world is slightly blurry. I MAY have overdone it on the cocktails. Sleep. Glorious, blessed sleep.
Day 2: Culture Clash & Culinary Adventures (and More Caffeine)
- 9:00 AM: Alarm. Groan. Coffee, STAT! Still hazy outside but the view is slightly better.
- 10:00 AM: Attempt one: The Shanghai Museum is on my list. Actually managed to find it, which is a victory in itself. It’s HUGE. Got overwhelmed by the sheer volume of ceramics. Spent a solid hour staring at ancient jade pieces, completely mesmerized. Realized I know absolutely nothing about Chinese history. Oops.
- 12:00 PM: Lost in the French Concession. This is my happy place. Beautiful architecture, charming cafes, and a slower pace. Wandered around, pretending I’m a glamorous expat from the 1920s (in my ripped jeans and questionable travel jacket).
- 1:00 PM: Found a tiny, authentic noodle shop. Ordered… well, I pointed at a picture. No clue what I was getting. Best noodles I've ever tasted. The guy behind the counter winked at me. Shanghai, you're flirting with me.
- 2:30 PM: Tea ceremony. A total tourist trap, I know. But hey, I was curious, and the tea was actually quite lovely. Tried to look sophisticated while sipping from tiny porcelain cups. Failed miserably. Spilled some tea on my pants. Mortifying. The woman making tea said "You are very relaxed." I think… she was being polite.
- 4:00 PM: More adventures. Found more adventures, but by then my feet were throbbing.
- 6:00 PM: Dinner. OMG. The best part of my day. Seriously, I get really excited about food, okay? I found a local restaurant. It's a bit chaotic. I ordered a dish that came with a live frog. Yes, a LIVE frog. (This is the part where I say to my brain, "We can skip this"). I got a plate of something spicy… delicious! Now I love spicy food.
- 8:00 PM: Back to the room, planning (or not planning) the next day.
Day 3: The Temple & The Tears
- 9:00 AM: Wake up. Yes, yes, I woke up. How does one wake up? Oh, coffee!
- 10:00 AM: Visit the Yu Garden. Beautiful and tranquil, even with the crowds. Got slightly lost in the maze, which was both frustrating and strangely enjoyable. (My inner child loves mazes.)
- 12:00 PM: Went to the Longhua Temple. The air was filled with the scent of incense and the sounds of chanting. It was a truly moving experience. I actually got a little teary-eyed. Didn't expect that!
- 2:00 PM: Shopping? Maybe. My credit card is already trembling. I'm gonna try and resist the urge to buy 10 silk scarves. I don't need them.
- 4:00 PM: Afternoon Tea. Needed a break from the crowds.
- 6:00 PM: Last dinner in Shanghai. A bittersweet feeling, this. I want to stay more. Found another restaurant. It was another delicious meal. I was a great adventure. In Shanghai.
- 8:00 PM: Packing. What a nightmare. Stuffing everything into my suitcase. Saying goodbye.
Final Thoughts:
Shanghai? You're a glorious, chaotic, overwhelming, and utterly captivating city. You've tested my patience, tantalized my taste buds, and maybe, just maybe, given me a tiny glimpse into your soul. I’m leaving exhausted but exhilarated. And already dreaming of my return.
(I'll probably need another vacation after this vacation. But it was worth it.)
Brockton's BEST Kept Secret: Super 8 Wyndham Review (You WON'T Believe This!)
Shanghai Sunrise: Bund Hotel's Breathtaking View You NEED to See! (Or Maybe Not, Depends...) - A Mostly Honest FAQ
Is the view REALLY as amazing as everyone says?
Is it worth the price? Seriously, that room isn't cheap!
What's the best time to experience the view? Sunrise or Sunset? (Or something else entirely?)
What about the hotel itself? Is it actually nice?
Are there any hidden costs or things I should be aware of?
Will I get the perfect Instagram shot?


Post a Comment for "Shanghai Sunrise: Bund Hotel's Breathtaking View You NEED to See!"