
Uncover Bandung's Hidden Gem: Scarlet Kebon Kawung Hotel!
Unearthing Scarlet Kebon Kawung: A Bandung Hotel Review, the Good, the Meh, and the OMG! (Buckle Up!)
Okay, so I just got back from a whirlwind trip to Bandung, and let me tell you, finding a decent hotel can be a lottery! But I decided to roll the dice on Scarlet Kebon Kawung Hotel, and well… let’s just say it was an experience. This isn't your polished, PR-approved review; it’s the real, unfiltered deal. This is also a ridiculously comprehensive review, so pour yourself a coffee (or a strong Bandung tea), and let's dive in!
SEO & Metadata (Because, You Know, Gotta):
- Keywords: Scarlet Kebon Kawung Hotel Bandung, Bandung hotels, Indonesia hotels, accessible hotels Bandung, spa hotel Bandung, pool view hotel Bandung, family-friendly hotel Bandung, wi-fi Bandung, Bandung dining, Bandung attractions, hotel review, Indonesia travel.
- Meta Description: Unbiased review of Scarlet Kebon Kawung Hotel in Bandung. Accessibility, dining, amenities, and honest opinions on a recent stay. Is it worth it? Find out!
First Impressions & Getting There (Accessibility - The First Hurdle):
Alright, getting to Scarlet Kebon Kawung was… an adventure. Traffic in Bandung is a beast, and the hotel is tucked away, not super easy to spot. I felt a bit like Indiana Jones on a quest to find the lost treasure! (Car park [free of charge], Car park [on-site], Car power charging station, Airport transfer, Taxi service, Valet parking). The hotel offers these conveniences, which is great, but be prepared for the aforementioned traffic.
Accessibility: And speaking of adventures – this is where things get a bit tricky. (Facilities for disabled guests, Elevator) There’s an elevator, which is a huge plus for accessibility. However, I didn’t specifically check for wheelchair accessibility in the rooms or common areas. I did notice ramps, but I’d highly recommend reaching out directly to the hotel if accessibility is a major concern. (Access)
Once Inside: The Ambiance (and Wi-Fi!)
The lobby area is… interesting. Not overwhelmingly wowing, but not a disaster either. Clean enough, and the staff are friendly enough. The important part? (Free Wi-Fi in all rooms!, Internet, Internet [LAN], Internet services, Wi-Fi in public areas, Wi-Fi for special events) Yes, the Wi-Fi is free, and it worked, which is always a win in my books. The main reason I needed Wi-Fi was, unfortunately, not so pleasant. I was sick, and I needed to have quick access to the internet, which did work!
The Room: Comforts and Quirks (aka, What You Really Want to Know!)
My room? Standard. Clean. (Air conditioning, Alarm clock, Bathrobes, Bathroom phone, Bathtub, Blackout curtains, Carpeting, Closet, Coffee/tea maker, Complimentary tea, Daily housekeeping, Desk, Extra long bed, Free bottled water, Hair dryer, High floor, In-room safe box, Interconnecting room(s) available, Internet access – LAN, Internet access – wireless, Ironing facilities, Laptop workspace, Linens, Mini bar, Mirror, Non-smoking, On-demand movies, Private bathroom, Reading light, Refrigerator, Safety/security feature, Satellite/cable channels, Scale, Seating area, Separate shower/bathtub, Shower, Slippers, Smoke detector, Socket near the bed, Sofa, Soundproofing, Telephone, Toiletries, Towels, Umbrella, Visual alarm, Wake-up service, Wi-Fi [free], Window that opens.) I had a decent view, and the (Blackout curtains) were a lifesaver for sleeping off jet lag. I really appreciated the (Coffee/tea maker) – that morning caffeine fix is crucial!
There were, however, some minor annoyances. The TV remote was a bit of a relic, and the bathroom seemed a bit… dated. The air conditioning worked, thankfully, but it did sound like a small jet engine taking off at times. (Non-smoking) Thank goodness for the non-smoking policy, as well!
The "Oh, This Is Nice!" Moments - Pool, Spa & Relaxation:
Right, let's get to the good stuff! (Pool with view, Sauna, Spa, Spa/sauna, Steamroom, Swimming pool, Swimming pool [outdoor], Body scrub, Body wrap, Fitness center, Foot bath, Gym/fitness, Massage) The outdoor pool is… lovely. Seriously. The view is amazing; you can see the city buzzing below. I spent a good hour just floating around, forgetting all my worries, and just letting the sun and the water wash over me. It was pure bliss. I did not check out the gym or the steam room but I did have an amazing (Massage)! The masseuse was fantastic, knowledgeable, and really knew what they were doing. I came out feeling like a new person - I could honestly write a standalone love letter to the massage I received – it was THAT good!
Dining & Drinking: Fueling the Adventure!
The hotel offers quite a few food options. (A la carte in restaurant, Alternative meal arrangement, Asian breakfast, Asian cuisine in restaurant, Bar, Bottle of water, Breakfast [buffet], Breakfast service, Buffet in restaurant, Coffee/tea in restaurant, Coffee shop, Desserts in restaurant, Happy hour, International cuisine in restaurant, Poolside bar, Restaurants, Room service [24-hour], Salad in restaurant, Snack bar, Soup in restaurant, Vegetarian restaurant, Western breakfast, Western cuisine in restaurant) I opted for the breakfast buffet, and it was… well, it was a buffet. The (Asian breakfast) selections looked promising, and the (Western Breakfast) offered a somewhat standard array of eggs, bacon, etc. The coffee was decent, and there was a good selection of fresh fruit. There is a (Poolside bar), which adds to the vibe.
Cleanliness & Safety: The Important Stuff!
Look, post-pandemic (which it definitely still is where health is concerned, in my opinion), safety is paramount. (Anti-viral cleaning products, Cashless payment service, Daily disinfection in common areas, Doctor/nurse on call, First aid kit, Hand sanitizer, Hot water linen and laundry washing, Hygiene certification, Individually-wrapped food options, Physical distancing of at least 1 meter, Professional-grade sanitizing services, Room sanitization opt-out available, Rooms sanitized between stays, Safe dining setup, Sanitized kitchen and tableware items, Shared stationery removed, Staff trained in safety protocol, Sterilizing equipment, CCTV in common areas, CCTV outside property, Fire extinguisher, Front desk [24-hour], Non-smoking rooms, Room decorations, Safety/security feature, Security [24-hour], Smoke alarms, Soundproof rooms) I felt that the hotel took cleanliness seriously. I saw staff constantly cleaning, and there were hand sanitizers everywhere. Rooms were sanitized between stays, which is reassuring. The staff were well-trained in the safety protocols, and I felt safe and secure throughout my stay.
Services & Conveniences: The Little Extras That Count!
(Air conditioning in public area, Audio-visual equipment for special events, Business facilities, Cash withdrawal, Concierge, Contactless check-in/out, Convenience store, Currency exchange, Daily housekeeping, Doorman, Dry cleaning, Elevator, Essential condiments, Facilities for disabled guests, Food delivery, Gift/souvenir shop, Indoor venue for special events, Invoice provided, Ironing service, Laundry service, Luggage storage, Meeting/banquet facilities, Meetings, Meeting stationery, On-site event hosting, Outdoor venue for special events, Projector/LED display, Safety deposit boxes, Seminars, Shrine, Smoking area, Terrace, Wi-Fi for special events, Xerox/fax in business center). The concierge was helpful, and the daily housekeeping was efficient. The convenience store was handy for grabbing snacks, and the currency exchange was a lifesaver. I didn't need any other services, but they seemed well-equipped to handle various needs.
For The Kids:
(Babysitting service, Family/child friendly, Kids facilities, Kids meal). If you're travelling with kids, it's good to know that the hotel is family-friendly. I didn't see any specific kid's facilities, but I'm sure they can make arrangements.
Getting Around: Location, Location, Location… and Traffic:
(Bicycle parking, Car park [free of charge], Car park [on-site], Car power charging station, Taxi service, Valet parking). The hotel’s location is a bit out of the main hustle and bustle. This is both a blessing and a curse. It's quieter, but it also means you're reliant on taxis or ride-sharing apps to get around. Traffic can be a nightmare. My advice? Plan your journeys in advance and factor in extra travel time.
The "Meh" Moments: The Slightly Less Shiny Bits:
Okay, here's where I get real. Overall, Scarlet Kebon Kawung is a decent hotel, but it's not perfect. The decor is a little dated, some of the facilities are a bit tired, and the location, while quiet, isn't the most convenient.
I have to also say this: The room service could be a little slow at times. It might be worth a
Erawan Bliss: 5BR, 5BA Bangkok Dream Home Awaits!
Alright, buckle up buttercups, because you're about to dive headfirst into the gloriously messy, hilariously unpredictable, and utterly me travel journal of my Bandung adventure at the Scarlet Kebon Kawung Hotel. Forget those perfectly curated Instagram feeds; this is the real deal. Prepare for typos, tangents, and the occasional existential crisis fuelled by too much strong Indonesian coffee. Here we go!
Day 1: Arrival, Overwhelm, and the Search for Decent Coffee (aka "The Bandung Baptism")
10:00 AM (ish) - Landed in Bandung: Hello Humidity, Farewell Composure. The Jakarta to Bandung flight? Smooth sailing. Getting through customs? Less so. Apparently, my passport photo makes me look like I'm simultaneously posing for a drivers license and auditioning to be a grumpy librarian. The customs officer just stared, then chuckled. Welcome to Indonesia!
11:00 AM - Taxi Tango to Scarlet Kebon Kawung: My Brain, Meet Traffic. The ride was… an experience. Let's just say Bandung traffic makes the LA freeways look like a serene Sunday drive. Horns blared, bikes zipped, and I clung to the seat for dear life praying my driver wasn't taking my on a shortcut towards the underworld.
12:00 PM - The Scarlet Scene. Check-in was surprisingly quick, and the hotel lobby? Gorgeous. All dark wood, intricate carvings, and the kind of air conditioning that makes you want to weep with joy after enduring the heat. My room is small, but stylish, a little chaotic (as I am) and clean. I always love a clean hotel room.
1:00 PM - The Coffee Quest Begins. Okay, first things first: coffee. Survival depends on it. The hotel restaurant's coffee? More like brown, lukewarm water. This is a catastrophe. I spent the next hour wandering the streets, dodging scooters, asking (badly) for "kopi yang enak" - the delicious coffee. Apparently, nobody understands my terrible Indonesian, so i had to turn to google translate. It took two tries and a near-miss with a food cart selling suspiciously delicious-looking fried things, but I finally found a decent cup at a little street cafe called "Kopi Kawa." My saviour! The locals stared. I loved it.
2:00 PM - Brief, Overwhelmed Nap. Jet lag has absolutely ravaged my insides. It was a struggle to keep my eyes open.
3:30 PM - Wandering the Streets and Avoiding the Tourist Traps. Armed with my coffee boost, I tried to get my bearings. The hotel is smack-dab in the middle of the city. I quickly realized I wasn't going to become a 'traveling guru' in a day. There was chaos and beauty at every turn. The smells were overwhelming. All good things. I was overwhelmed.
5:00 PM - Dinner Drama: I tried ordering food at the hotel restaurant again. More brown lukewarm water for coffee. I also ordered Nasi Goreng, which was amazing. I took another coffee from a nearby cafe.
7:00 PM - Existential Dread and the Hotel TV. Watching Indonesian television feels more like another language lesson than entertainment. I started feeling utterly alone, which is weird, since I knew the next day would bring more adventure.
8:00 PM - Bed.
Day 2: Tangkuban Perahu, Tea Plantations, and the Unexpected Charm of "The Tourist Bus"
7:00 AM - Breakfast of Champions (and Bad Coffee, Again): The hotel breakfast buffet was… fine. Pancakes, fruit, and a valiant effort at coffee that failed miserably. I stuck to the fruit and downed another cup of Kopi Kawa for safekeeping.
9:00 AM - The Tangkuban Perahu Volcano: Hissing, Sulphur and Spectacular Views. This was the real deal. I hired a driver, and drove out to the volcano. The crater itself was breathtaking. The air thick with the smell of sulfur, and the whole landscape felt like another planet. It was cold. I was not prepared. I ended up buying a bright orange scarf to keep me warm. Worth it.
12:00 PM - Lunch Near the Volcano: Tourist Trap or Treasure? The restaurants near Tangkuban Perahu were clearly catering to tourists. The food was decent, but overpriced. I got my food. It was a culinary moment, sure.
2:00 PM - Tea Plantation Euphoria: Lost in Green (and Bliss). After the volcano, we went to a tea plantation. The sheer scale of the place was astounding. I saw the workers picking tea leaves. I felt like the only tourist there, even though I knew I wasn't. The air smelled of something delicious. It was like stepping into a postcard. I spent hours, wandering the hills, drinking tea, and just soaking it all in.
4:00 PM - The Tourist Bus Ride: I hired a driver from the hotel. He could take me anywhere. I was in absolute bliss.
6:00 PM - Dinner: More Nasi Goreng, More Coffee. I decided to treat myself to another Nasi Goreng.
8:00 PM - Bedtime and The Journal.
Day 3: Shopping, Culture Shock, and the Glorious Chaos of Pasar Baru.
9:00 AM - The Search for Shopping. After a miserable night of tossing and turning, I got dressed and decided to seek out the city's shopping scene. I had nothing to buy. I still wanted to go.
10:00 AM - A Visit to the Fashion District: Bandung's famous fashion district. This place was bonkers. Tailors, endless shops, and a relentless stream of shoppers. It was a sensory overload, but also exhilarating. The colours, noises, and sheer variety of everything almost made me pass out.
12:00 PM - Pasar Baru Market: The Wildest Ride. I decided to go the the Pasar Baru market. A sprawling, chaotic, and utterly captivating labyrinth of everything. The air was thick with smells. The noise level reached a fever pitch, and I quickly realized I was in over my head. I bought a few things, and was pleased with my purchases.
2:00 PM - Lunch at a Street Vendor: My Stomach and I Surviving. The food was divine. The vendor was kind. I was so full and happy.
4:00 PM - The Hotel. I was so tired.
7:00 PM - My Own Room.
Day 4: Departure and The Epiphany Before Leaving.
Morning: Breakfast, packing.
1:00 PM: The Epiphany. I realized that I loved Bandung, in all its messy, chaotic, beautiful glory. It was the kind of place that gets under your skin.
2:00 PM - Taxi to the airport: Back to the real world.
4:00 PM: Plane: Bye-bye
The End.
This is just the start of my journey. The real fun is the unpredictability. Don't be afraid to get lost, to laugh at yourself, and to embrace the beautiful mess of it all. Now go out there and make your own travel stories!
Grand Canyon Getaway: Unbeatable Deals at Travelodge Williams!
Scarlet Kebon Kawung Hotel: Unfiltered FAQs (Because Let's Be Honest)
So, is this "hidden gem" *really* hidden? Like, do I need a Sherpa and a machete to find it?
Okay, first of all, the "hidden gem" thing is a *little* dramatic. It's not *that* hidden. You won't need to trek through the Amazon. But! It IS tucked away. You definitely wouldn’t stumble upon it unless you were, like, *really* determined to find a cool boutique hotel in Bandung. I actually, embarrassingly, walked past the entrance *twice* during my first attempt. My sense of direction is questionable. Let's just say, Google Maps is your friend. And maybe cross-reference with the local Warung down the street, just in case the app derps out on you. That happened to me... several times.
What's the *vibe*? Is it all minimalist chic or like, kitschy-Indonesian-Grandma-chic?
Ooh, good question! It's… not quite either, actually. Think more… edgy-vintage-meets-Bandung-cool. There's exposed brick, some really cool artwork (I got the feeling it was all locally sourced, which I appreciated!), and vintage furniture. It’s the kind of place where you feel comfortable in your travel-worn jeans but also wouldn't feel *too* out of place in something a little more dressed up. I loved this part! It felt fresh and modern, but not pretentious. There was a definite warmth to the place, which is important, you know? That's lacking in some minimalist places, where I feel like i am in a hospital.
Are the rooms actually comfortable? I've seen some "stylish" hotels where the beds feel like concrete slabs.
Okay, this is KEY. The beds are GOOD. Like, *really* good. I'm a sucker for a comfy bed, and I honestly had some of the best sleep of my life there. Seriously, I woke up feeling… human. Which is a rare thing when traveling! The rooms themselves are well-appointed, nothing over the top, but all the essentials are there: AC that actually works (a MUST in Bandung!), clean bathroom… and crucially, enough power outlets for all your gadgets. Because, let's be real, we are all glued to our phones. It's the 21st century, people! The only minor critique? The lighting could be a little brighter in the evening. But hey, maybe that's just me getting old and needing more lumens.
What about the food? Is it good, or just... "hotel breakfast" good? 🤮
Alright, so the breakfast... this is where things take a *slight* turn. Okay, okay, I'll be honest. Hotel breakfasts are... a gamble, right? Sometimes they're amazing, sometimes you just end up staring at a sad plate of lukewarm scrambled eggs. This one? It was… decent. Not the *best* hotel breakfast I've ever had, but not the worst either. There was your typical continental spread, some local dishes, and they made a mean omelet. I'm a big omelet guy, in case you couldn't tell. But the real star of the show, for me, was the fresh fruit. Sweet, juicy, and actually tasted like something. Because, you know, sometimes fruit at hotels is just… blah. The coffee, however, was a bit weak. I'm a coffee snob, sorry. I might bring instant coffee next time.
Let's talk about service. Are the staff friendly? Or are they… pretending to be friendly?
Oh, the staff! This is where Scarlet Kebon Kawung really shines. They are genuinely lovely. Not that fake, overly-polished hospitality you get in some big hotels… these people are… well, they're *real*. Super helpful, always smiling, and they actually *seem* like they enjoy working there. One tiny anecdote (and I feel like this is the most honest way to describe this): I arrived completely frazzled, jet-lagged to the point where I was talking to myself, and I couldn't figure out how to open the door. The guy at the front desk saw me struggling, came outside, and helped me not only with the door but also with my luggage. He offered me a cold towel and a glass of iced tea. I felt like I was being hugged. It made me feel so much better, immediately! They were attentive without being intrusive. They knew my name and remembered my coffee order. It's those little touches that make a huge difference.
Parking situation? Because Bandung traffic is… well, it's *Bandung* traffic.
Okay, the parking... Yeah, Bandung traffic is a beast, and parking can be a nightmare. Scarlet Kebon Kawung has… limited parking. I drove on the first day, and I'm going to be completely honest; it was tight. The space was tiny, and maneuvering my rental car (which was way too big for Indonesian roads, I learned) was a white-knuckle experience. I did end up squeezing in, but if you value your sanity (and your car's paint job), I would suggest, either arrive early-ish or grab a Grab/Gojek. The location is pretty central, so getting taxis or ride-sharing is easy. After the first time, I just walked. I recommend it. Plus, the hotel can help arrange a driver for day trips, which is a lifesaver.
Anything to do nearby? I don't want to be stuck in a hotel the whole time.
OH, YES! The location is fantastic. You’re a short walk/Grab ride away from some amazing cafes, restaurants, and shops. You can easily explore the Dago area, and there are a lot of cool things to do. You have to go to Lawangwangi Creative Space, with its cool views and art. Also, I took a day trip to Kawah Putih, this insane volcanic crater lake. The hotel staff can help organize that. I'm telling you -- the views, the colors, it's like something out of a movie. Really, really beautiful. Be aware its a bit chilly up there. It was such a fantastic day; it was the highlight of my trip. I went there and took about 3000 photos! (Note: That one outing deserved like, a whole separate paragraph. Still, the hotel’s access to its surrounding area is a big plus). So yes, you are in the perfect spot to see the city, and the hotel can help you get around.
Would you go back? Even with the parking situation and not-the-best coffee?
Absolutely. Without a doubt. The good REALLY outweighs the minor imperfections. The comfortable beds, the excellent staff, the cool vibe, and the location make it a winner. Plus, it isn't overly expensive. I'm already plotting my return, actually. Next time, I’m just taking Grab. Or maybe I'll learn to takeHotel Price Compare


Post a Comment for "Uncover Bandung's Hidden Gem: Scarlet Kebon Kawung Hotel!"