
Newark Elizabeth Courtyard: Your NJ Getaway Awaits!
Newark Elizabeth Courtyard: My Jersey Getaway… Or Was It? (A Mostly Unfiltered Review)
Okay, buckle up, buttercups. This isn't your average travel brochure. This is ME, after a stay at the Newark Elizabeth Courtyard, spilling the (slightly burnt) tea. First things first, I'm not a paid reviewer, I'm just a gal who needed a break from the city and thought… Jersey. Sigh. Let's unravel this, shall we?
Metadata & SEO (Because apparently I'm supposed to do this):
- Keywords: Hotels Newark, Hotels Elizabeth, New Jersey Hotels, Courtyard Newark, Accessible Hotels, WiFi Newark, Spa Hotels NJ, Fitness Center Newark, Restaurants Near Me, Airport Hotel, NJ Getaway, Pet-Friendly Hotels (even though it says "pets unavailable – more on THAT later).
- Description: A candid review of the Newark Elizabeth Courtyard. Details on accessibility, amenities (spa, pool, fitness, etc.), dining, services, room features, and (crucially) the overall vibe. Is this your NJ escape? Maybe… maybe not.
Accessibility: A Mixed Bag, Honestly
Alright, so I gotta preface this with: I'm not in a wheelchair, but I always try to be mindful. The Courtyard says it has facilities for disabled guests. Elevator? Check. Ramps? Probably. Specifics on accessible rooms? Not digging for it, but, generally speaking? It looked like they had the basics covered. But… and this is a big but… the devil is in the details. Like, how wide are the doorways in the bathrooms? Are the grab bars actually useful? This is where they start to lose me because it's just unclear. I'd recommend calling ahead and asking specific questions if accessibility is a major factor for you.
Rooms & Creature Comforts: Pretty Standard, Honestly
Okay, my room. Air conditioning? Yup. (Thank God, Jersey summers are brutal!). Free WiFi? Claiming they had it in every room, which is always a plus. It actually worked, which is a bigger miracle than you might think. Desk? Yep. Mini-fridge? Yes! (Perfect for those bodega-bought snacks, obviously). Blackout curtains? Bless up. I needed those after a long flight. Now, about the bed… comfy enough, but not the mind-blowing "sleep on a cloud" experience some hotels promise. Cleanliness overall? Seemed fine. The room was sanitized, that's what I've been looking for.
Internet! (Because Let’s Be Real, We Live Online)
Free Wi-Fi in all rooms? Yep. And it was decent. I could stream my shows, answer emails, and do all the online stuff without too many hiccups. A basic but all-important need. If you’re one of those LAN-loving technophiles, Internet [LAN] is an option, but who does that anymore?
"Things to Do" (Or, "Finding Entertainment in Jersey")
Okay, this is where it gets dicey. The "things to do" list within the hotel is essentially "get in the pool, use the gym or go to the bar". Beyond that? This is Newark-Elizabeth. You're gonna need a car or a seriously dedicated Uber driver. You can go for some of the options, like the fitness center but with an "meh" gym.
Dining, Drinking, and Snacking: Food, Glorious Food… Maybe?
Restaurants! The Courtyard offers a "restaurant" and a "coffee shop". The restaurant seemed to be doing standard American fare, but I didn't fancy eating in the hotel, so I can't comment directly on it. There's also a snack bar, the ever-tempting option of Room service [24-hour].
Cleanliness and Safety: COVID-Era Concerns
Okay, let’s be real, this is 2023-2024. Cleanliness is everything these days. The hotel, to their credit, seemed to be taking it seriously. They had hand sanitizer everywhere, the daily disinfection in common areas. Staff trained in safety protocol? (Supposedly, though I'm not sure anyone could tell me what that really looks like). Room sanitization opt-out available? (I didn't inquire - I wanted it sanitized!). All in all, it felt relatively safe, though I certainly caught myself wondering about the true effectiveness of all these measures.
Services and Conveniences: The "Nice to Haves"
Okay, the actual services. There's a concierge, luggage storage, laundry service, dry cleaning, and a shop that sells gifts/souvenirs. Convenient, standard stuff, but nothing that really wowed me.
For the Kids: Family-Friendly-ish
The Courtyard claims to be family-friendly. But there's not exactly any kid-specific stuff. There’s a babysitting service available… but I'd check references.
Getting Around: (The Uber is Your Friend)
Airport transfer? Yes. Car park [on-site]? Also, yes (and free!). But, if you're not renting a car, you're stuck relying on taxis or rideshares. And trust me, navigating this area can feel like a puzzle if you don't know the ropes.
The Good, the Bad, and the Jersey
The Good:
- Generally clean. (Important!)
- Convenient for airport access. (If you're on a layover, this is great)
- Free Wi-Fi that actually worked.
- The blackout curtains. Seriously. Lifesavers.
- The free parking. Every place needs this.
The Bad:
- The VIBE. It was… corporate, sanitized. Not exactly a "soulful getaway."
- The lack of exciting things to do within the hotel or in its immediate vicinity.
- The "meh" feeling about the overall experience.
The Jersey-ness:
- It's not the Ritz-Carlton, but it's not trying to be.
- The price was reasonable, nothing to write home about.
- It's functional. It's a place to crash.
Would I go back?
Maybe. If I needed an airport hotel, absolutely. If I'm looking for a special vacation? Probably not. It's a solid, dependable, and frankly, forgettable hotel. The kind of place you might stay without really remembering you did stay. But hey, sometimes that's perfectly fine. Just don't expect to leave feeling inspired. Consider this an honest take. If you need a place to crash near Newark, fine. If you're looking for something more… well, you already knew that.
Roseville's BEST Extended Stay? Larkspur Landing Review!
Alright, here we go. My "Courtyard Newark Elizabeth" adventure – or as I'm starting to think of it, "The Slightly-Less-Than-Glamorous Jersey Odyssey." Buckle up, buttercups. This ain't your polished travel brochure.
Day 1: Arrival and the Great Pizza Hunt of Elizabeth.
- 1:00 PM: Landed at Newark Airport. Ugh. Airport vibes are just… a thing, aren't they? That weird mix of stale air, over-priced coffee, and the faint scent of existential dread. At least the flight was relatively smooth, and by smooth, I mean I didn't have to endure a screaming toddler directly behind me. Small victories.
- 1:30 PM: Uber to the Courtyard. Found it. Which you'd think would be easy, but somehow the navigation app insisted on taking me on a detour through what appeared to be a small industrial wasteland. My first observation: Elizabeth, NJ, is… an experience.
- 2:00 PM: Checked in. The lobby was… beige. A lot of beige. But the front desk guy was actually cheerful, which immediately boosted my mood. I think his name was Javier? Bless him. He gave me a room on the 7th floor. He also mentioned the pool was closed. Sigh.
- 2:30 PM: Room Inspection. Okay, so the room is… cleanish. The view overlooks another building. Well, at least it’s not a parking lot, right? The bed looks comfy, and that, my friends, is a crucial point. Travel is exhausting.
- 3:00 PM - 6:00 PM: The Great Pizza Hunt! My mission, should I choose to accept it, was to find truly amazing, authentic New Jersey pizza. I asked Javier. He pointed me toward a place called "Star Tavern Pizza." Okay, cool. Uber time. Except… the Uber driver seemed a little… lost. And I got this weird vibe that we were driving in circles. We finally arrived at the pizza place, but the line was wrapped around the block! I think I looked as though I was about to cry. It was like, a good hour of waiting, and I was starving! So, Plan B: a place Javier had also mentioned, "Joe's." I took a different Uber, and this time, it went smoothly. Phew! Got a slice. Was it life-altering pizza? No, but it hit the spot. Lesson learned: Jersey pizza is SERIOUS BUSINESS. You gotta plan. And probably have a backup pizza plan.
- 7:00 PM: Back at the Courtyard. Exhausted. Ordered a very mediocre burger from the hotel restaurant. Contemplated the meaning of life while watching something called "Real Housewives of Whatever" on TV. My emotional reaction? Meh. Sleep it is.
Day 2: Exploring (…Sort Of) and The Mystery of the Missing Shampoo.
- 8:00 AM: Woke up feeling surprisingly rested. Hotel breakfast buffet – the usual suspects. I inhaled some scrambled eggs and sausage. Fuel for the day’s adventures.
- 9:00 AM - 12:00 PM: The "Historic Downtown" Expedition. I'd read there were some historic sites in Elizabeth. Got a taxi. (Uber was being… quirky again). It turns out, "historic" in Elizabeth means… a few old buildings. Let's just say the charm was… understated. Walked around for a while, saw a church. That was good. And a few cute little shops. I grabbed a coffee and a pastry. The pastry was the highlight. Found a small antique shop. I like that.
- 12:00 PM - 1:00 PM: Lunch at a diner. Felt like a real Jersey experience. Ordered a pastrami on rye. Massive. Delicious. Felt like I was in a Martin Scorsese film. (Without the criminal activity, thankfully.)
- 1:00 PM - 3:00 PM: Back to the hotel for some down time. The whole "exploring" thing? Exhausting. I am NOT a morning person. Spent some time reading and staring at the view (still the other building).
- 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM: The Mystery of the Missing Shampoo. I swear, I brought shampoo. But now, it's GONE. Like, poof. Vanished. I searched everywhere. Under the bed, in the drawers, even behind the toilet (don't judge). Nothing. Okay, maybe I’m losing my mind. Or maybe the room service cleaned up a little too well. Either way, it was a minor crisis. I had to beg for a bottle at the front desk.
- 5:00 PM: Decided to venture out, try to find a decent grocery store to stock up on snacks. Wandered a little aimlessly for a while, feeling pretty lost. Came across a park – nice, actually! Sat on a bench and people-watched for a while. It's a way to see how life goes around in this setting.
- 7:00 PM: Ordered takeout from a local Italian place. Lasagna. Comfort food, always. Then went back to my room, and watched some TV.
Day 3: Departure and the Grand Finale – The Jersey Turnpike.
- 9:00 AM: Hotel breakfast. More eggs. More sausage. More… beige.
- 10:00 AM: Packing. Ugh, the worst part of any trip. Found my shampoo. Turns out it rolled under the bed. The universe has a sense of humor.
- 11:00 AM: Check-out. Saying goodbye to Javier was pleasant.
- 11:30 AM: Uber to the airport. This time, the driver was a chatterbox. And not in a bad way. He had some great stories. Talked about his family, his life. It was a good goodbye to the city. The traffic was brutal. The Jersey Turnpike! I’d heard legends. And they’re all true. It's a highway of pure, unadulterated chaos. Swerving, honking, and the constant threat of being stuck behind a tractor-trailer.
- 1:00 PM: Arrived at the airport.
- 1:30 PM: Security. Another exercise in patience.
- 2:30 PM: Flight.
Reflections:
Elizabeth, NJ. It wasn’t a picture-perfect vacation. No stunning vistas. No glamorous nightlife. But it was… real. A bit rough around the edges. Full of surprises (the missing shampoo, the pizza queues, the Turnpike). And who knows, maybe that's exactly what I needed. I'm exhausted, but I also feel like I had an experience. And that, my friends, is what travel is all about, right? The mess, the adventure, the slightly questionable pizza… I'll be back to my luxurious life back home, and I'll be happy. The end. (For now.)
Escape to Paradise: Downtown West Palm Beach's Best Kept Secret (Residence Inn)
Newark Elizabeth Courtyard: Seriously, What’s the Deal? Your NJ Getaway...Maybe. (Honestly.)
Okay, so like... why Newark Elizabeth Courtyard? Is it, you know, *good*?
Alright, let's be real. "Good" is a loaded word. I went there thinking, "Meh, a Courtyard. It'll be fine." And... it *was* fine. Which, in the grand scheme of life and travel, isn't bad. It’s not the Ritz, obviously. Think more… dependable. Like that slightly-too-old friend you can always count on to show up, even if they’re wearing the same jeans they wore last week.
My first impression? The lobby was…lobby-ish. Clean, kind of sterile, with that generic hotel art that looks like someone just told an AI to generate "abstract things on a wall." (I swear, those things are *evolving*.) But hey, the front desk people were actually *nice*. Which, after a horrific experience at a different hotel I’m *not* naming (it involved a mold problem and a particularly grumpy bellhop), felt like a genuine win. They even gave me a cookie. A *warm* cookie. Life-saver, that cookie. So, good? Dependable cookie-provider, yes. Luxury getaway? Hold your horses.
I have a flight out of EWR. Is staying there actually *convenient*? Don't want to die getting to the airport.
Oh, *absolutely* convenient. That's the whole point. Like, *literally* the point. You're talking about the Newark Liberty International Airport? Think of it this way: it's like the Courtyard's next-door neighbor. Maybe a slightly loud neighbor who's constantly jetting off to exotic locales, but still… within spitting distance. I took their shuttle (which, I'll be honest, looks like it's seen better days, but it *works*!), and it took maybe… ten minutes? Fifteen tops? Avoid the rush hour, obviously. Unless you like the thrill of the NJ Turnpike at its finest (or worst). Seriously, if you need to grab a quick nap before your flight, or are just utterly exhausted and the thought of public transit makes you want to weep, it’s a godsend.
One time, I checked in around midnight after a horribly delayed flight from Chicago. I was *wrecked*. Just wanted my bed. The shuttle was waiting, the check-in painless, and I was in my room within, like, twenty minutes. That, friends, is glorious. Worth the price of admission, right there.
What's the deal with the rooms? Are they, like… clean? I'm a germaphobe. (kinda.)
Clean-ish. Let's be honest, every hotel room has a *story*, you know? I’m not expecting hospital-level sterilization (though, a girl can dream...). I didn’t find any glaring issues, though. Beds were made, the bathroom was tidy, and the towels weren't suspiciously crusty. (Okay, maybe I *am* a little germaphobic.) I always check for the telltale signs – you know, stray hairs in the shower, questionable stains on the carpet, lingering smells of… well, I don't need to go there. Surprisingly, everything seemed… acceptable. My room was… fine. Unremarkable, but fine. A safe haven, relatively speaking.
I *always* wipe down surfaces with Clorox wipes anyway, regardless. Just my personal peace of mind. Which, is it just me, or does that Clorox smell feel… strangely comforting? Like you’re actually purifying the place from any lurking evils. (Okay, maybe I need therapy…)
What about the food? I need to eat! Is there anything decent nearby, besides stale airport vending machine snacks?
The Courtyard has a little bistro thing there. It's… convenient. Think pre-made sandwiches, salads, some hot breakfast items. It's not gourmet, but it will stave off starvation. I’ve had their scrambled eggs. They were… eggs. Not the best eggs I’ve ever had, but the worst either. Again, you're not signing up for a Michelin-starred dining experience. You're signing up for sustenance. And caffeine! They have coffee. Lots of coffee. THANK GOD FOR THAT.
Now, if you want something *good*, you're going to need to venture out. The area *around* the hotel? Let's just say, options are… limited. There's definitely fast food. And a few smaller restaurants. I wasn't feeling adventurous on my trip, so I stuck with the hotel's option, but if you're feeling daring, do your research! Yelp is your friend. (Pro tip: always read the *recent* reviews. Restaurants can change drastically in a matter of months.). I'm a sucker for convenience, and the hotel did the trick. But, you know, next time... I might try the local pizza place. For science, of course.
Are there any amenities? Like, a pool? A gym?
Yes to the gym! It's… on the smaller side. Think: a treadmill, a couple of ellipticals, some weights that probably haven't been updated since the late 90s. But, hey, it's there. I'm not a gym person, in general, but on one particular trip, I *did* decide to attempt to work off the previous day's airport-induced stress with a quick run. I managed maybe 15 minutes before I gave up. I'm not a fan of running. But for those who like a little workout, it’ll do the trick. The pool? Nope. No pool. So, you're going to have to find somewhere else to practice your swan dives. I'm not particularly disappointed. I'm more of a "sit-by-the-window-and-watch-TV-all-day" kind of traveler anyway.
I heard there's a shuttle to the train. Is that true?
YES! The Courtyard *does* have a shuttle to the Newark Penn Station. Which is HUGE. I mean... you can get practically *anywhere* from Newark Penn. NYC, all over NJ. It's a lifesaver if you want to explore a bit, or you're just trying to avoid paying for airport parking. The shuttle is free. The train isn't. But getting on the train is way easier than trying to drive in… *gasp*… Manhattan. I rode it to see a show in the city and it was smooth sailing, after dealing with some aggressive new york cab drivers for the last few hours. So don't forget, The shuttle to Newark Penn is a major selling point – it gives you easy access to a lot of places. Thank goodness. I hated using the NY public transport.
Anything I should *avoid*? Any horror stories?
Urban Hotel Search


Post a Comment for "Newark Elizabeth Courtyard: Your NJ Getaway Awaits!"